Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. I know saying fiat 500 on a forum like this is like swearing or calling your mum or something but I was wondering whether any Up! owners have had a fiat 500 in their car past?
I used to have a fiat 500 lounge twinair. Have to admit to loving the engine (fast or economical - never both!). Styling was nice (although maybe too cute?). One reason for getting rid was as a bloke over 6ft the space was no-where near as good as the up. Had to lower the seat (which only lowered at the back) to get in. Ended up being a bit of a back strain. Still have a little love for the 500 but think the up suits better.
Any thoughts on the 500 out there?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I do sort of like the 500 in a way. The retro look and all that. Fiat has scored a remarkable marketing hit by pricing it high... people perceive it as being a premium product. I think it's over-priced (think of the original). Historically an 875cc two-cylinder car would have cost LESS than a 1200cc four cylinder, but Fiat charges more for the TwinAir! I know the technology is better, but really...
That and the lack of space (specially in the boot) is a problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I agree. The boot was tiny. The Up! boot is phenomenal for the size of car. Very impressed.
Wish they'd put the twinair engine in the up. That would be sweet.

·
Registered
851 Posts
move up! said:
I do sort of like the 500 in a way. The retro look and all that. Fiat has scored a remarkable marketing hit by pricing it high... people perceive it as being a premium product. I think it's over-priced (think of the original). Historically an 875cc two-cylinder car would have cost LESS than a 1200cc four cylinder, but Fiat charges more for the TwinAir! I know the technology is better, but really...
That and the lack of space (specially in the boot) is a problem.
I think a big pull for some people is the free annual road tax. It very nearly sucked me in until I realised that the 1.2 4-cyl is so much cheaper that you more than cover the road tax - which is quite small anyway. So maybe others are like me and get seduced by the zero road tax without doing the maths. I probably would have bought the 500 had the up! not been launched.......or perhaps the Panda.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to own a 500 bydiesel and it was one of the best cars I ever owned I must have been mad at the time to trade it in against a Renault wind what was a pure lemon but hey if I hadn't I wouldn't have my little mii got to look on the bright side

·
Registered
532 Posts
i tested a 500 twin air and it was a hoot, but too small and cute for me. The new panda is a better match for the older customer. It's good, but the up has it on the quality feel that it has. Not that I ave enjoyed it for any length of time. Just 10 weeks to go.

The twin air engine is eager and great fun, but so is the thrum from the up.

Compare either of these to the Citroen c2 and you can easily see the advances made in the last 8-10 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love my Mii but this is defo my next car what do you guys think!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Err NO!....500 was always a triumph of form over function, yes twin-air is great , esp if you want to avoid the congestion charge but for practicality, the up is way better.

I'm more concerned about the inside of a car as thats the bit I see all the time, Human interface bits like the wheel/gearchange/instruments are important as is the seat comfort.

Being 6'3", the 500 was a no-no unless I could drive the 500c with the roof open!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Privatedoc said:
I'm more concerned about the inside of a car as thats the bit I see all the time, Human interface bits like the wheel/gearchange/instruments are important as is the seat comfort.
Good point that. I still think that the exterior of the 500 is fantastic and if I'm honest I do prefer it to the Up/Mii/Citigo. But on the test drive I couldn't get comfortable in the 500 and the instrument cluster seemed overly fussy

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sorry... No from me too... VW all the way (for the time being!)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I sat in a 500. It seemed cramped and poky in the front, even more so in the back and I'm only 5'9".I sat in the Up! and it seemed like a Tardis - a lot of room in a really small car.
IMHO, no contest.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a 500 in 2008 for less than a year, it was a 1.4 Lounge. Had a van run into the back, then three weeks later someone ran into the side!
Was never the same after that so I sold it for a smart.

I liked it but.... Ive been a huge Fiat fan for many years but the 500 has moved Fiat away from what its done best, make cheap cars. Now theyve gone all upmarket and pricey. I love the new Panda, but its more expensive than an Up! and the dealers are shocking.

Been with Skoda now since 2009 and loving them.... they still do small and cheap!

·
Registered
587 Posts
The twin air has been a bit of a damp squid overall with not matching the claimed mpg figures, great engine but is still a tad thirsty for the size and power. Overall it is not a bad car though, not my cup of tea and slightly smaller interior wise than the Up!

·
Registered
113 Posts
The 1.4 100hp was a real gem, you could squeeze just over 50mpg or easily get low 40s. However, the 6 speed box was a pain and the turning circle with that box like an oil tanker! Ride was dreadful too.

·
Registered
453 Posts
had my TA about 15 months and just blasted through the 25k barrier, engine is addictive but you sort of have to drive it as if its a derv rather than a petrol

mpg wise mine does 48mpg on its 50 mile commute of motorway and London traffic (I budgeted on 40mpg) which is a lot better than my GTI which does around 25mpg on the same journey on a diet of super unleaded

main issues with the 500 for me are dealers are hit or miss when it comes to buying one and servicing one (variations in serving costs dealer to dealer are hilarious), the suspension is shocking in terms of ride quality, the driving position is a bit awkward and the front seats lack a bit of support on longer journeys

Up GT would suit my needs better moving forward

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 500 1.2 Lounge for three years, replaced it with Take Up. My observations:

1. 500 was just about big enough for me - 6.4. probably should have tried one with sunroof before ordering, without sunroof there was plenty of room. Seat lowering in 500 was pretty useless, just tilted the back of the base down. However, space was not bad, but Up defo better.

2. In comparison to Up internal finish of 500 was cheap, very cheap.

3. Servicing costs of 500 very high, dealer service pretty poor.

4. Up design is more conservative, suits me fine.

5. 500 ride was poor, i had low profile tyres (needed car first, took what they had available on the boat!) which certainly didn't help. I understand ride was improved when rear set up from 500C was pushed across the full range.

Happy with 500, happier with Up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So you thought the 500 Lounge interior cheap compared with a Take Up, I thought the opposite really!Ive been a fan of Fiat for years, had about 20+ of them, four new and various others from 1966 onward.

But, dealers screwed me over once too often so its Skoda these days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts