Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving along the motorway this evening at 70, there was suddenly some new wind noise from behind my head. Looks like the one of the two places where the side window on a 5dr is attached, has come unstuck. Seems to be glued to two hinge like brackets and the top glue has failed....anyone else had this? Apart from the extra wind noise and likelihood of letting water in, I’m not sure I want to drive it much at speed in case the pressure against it sitting out breaks the other bracket.

No doubt it will be next week before the dealer can get parts/fix it :sad:

Attached pic of what it looks like now and what it should look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
That’s a worry. How many miles have you done and what is the age of the car? This didn’t happen on my former TSI, nor my wife’s TSI, so hopefully isolated and a simple and lasting warranty fix for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a worry. How many miles have you done and what is the age of the car? This didn’t happen on my former TSI, nor my wife’s TSI, so hopefully isolated and a simple and lasting warranty fix for you.
It’s a January 2019 Up GTI with 1400 miles on it. It also has the drooping rear brake light in the roof spoiler, so I’m not too impressed with VW’s glue/sticky tape :wink:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow min,that's not good will cross me fingers about my one behaving and it's just a one off

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ya wonder why I'm so excited for mine to arrive when you're always reading stuff like this. Still hope you get it fixed easy enough and we all consciously remember that this is a cheap car!
....how much are Lupo GTIs going for these days?

(I jest, I went to test an immaculate 2004 plate one about 18mo ago and felt fairly certain it was going to be a money black hole in the not too distant future)

·
Registered
169 Posts
It’s a January 2019 Up GTI with 1400 miles on it. It also has the drooping rear brake light in the roof spoiler, so I’m not too impressed with VW’s glue/sticky tape :wink:
Yes,welcome to the droopy/sagging rear spoiler club!.Seems to be more members by the week.

·
Registered
124 Posts
wow had the wind got under it... it could have swung right back and smashed against the back pillar causing a lot of damage. I open mine quite a lot in the hot weather although they do hurt noticeably the mpg. I'll be checking mine then.

Take it straight back to VW

·
Registered
605 Posts
Worryingly this could be a weak point that fails with increasing regularity down the line and once the warranties have long expired too.

·
Banned
645 Posts
My 3dr Gti, is behaving itself.
Like all the VW vehicles ive owned over the many years, starting with a 1969 Fastback, they have been totally reliable with no mechanical issues.

My 5dr Move Up is screwed together really well, not a single rattle or defect in almost a year of ownership.

I expect no issues with my Gti, its almost as well built as my mothers 2004 Lupo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, they replace the whole window when this happens, rather than try and rebond it to the bracket (thankfully).

Hopefully getting the window replaced tomorrow. They’ve seen this happen before apparently...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Pleased to read you are getting this resolved expediently and with a new part vice an attempted repair. As above, doesn’t bode well if this is a somewhat known issue...

So, they replace the whole window when this happens, rather than try and rebond it to the bracket (thankfully).

Hopefully getting the window replaced tomorrow. They’ve seen this happen before apparently...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the window is just stuck in with adhesive?
I hope the suspension isn’t attached with the same method
Yes, the end dearest the drivers door is bonded to two hinge type brackets. The top one of mine had ‘unbonded’.

All credit to the dealer. I reported it to them yesterday morning and they had the new window delivered and fitted by 2pm today.

The only thing that’s worrying me is, it doesn’t sit as tightly to the seal as the passenger side rear window. From photos I had of the car taken a few weeks ago, it may have been like that before and is normal. If there is anyone with a 5 door GTI, who could check if both rear side windows are the same, in terms of tightness to the seal , I’d be grateful, before a I take it back to the dealer.

Attached a couple of photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, the end dearest the drivers door is bonded to two hinge type brackets. The top one of mine had ‘unbonded’.

All credit to the dealer. I reported it to them yesterday morning and they had the new window delivered and fitted by 2pm today.

The only thing that’s worrying me is, it doesn’t sit as tightly to the seal as the passenger side rear window. From photos I had of the car taken a few weeks ago, it may have been like that before and is normal. If there is anyone with a 5 door GTI, who could check if both rear side windows are the same, in terms of tightness to the seal , I’d be grateful, before a I take it back to the dealer.

Attached a couple of photos.
Just checked ours & the passenger side one is nice & snug, but the drivers side one sticks out more with less of a uniform seal on it, but not as far as your picture shows ( cant see the paint through the gap).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just checked ours & the passenger side one is nice & snug, but the drivers side one sticks out more with less of a uniform seal on it, but not as far as your picture shows ( cant see the paint through the gap).
Thanks for checking T&biskits. I was able to push the seal back into place a fraction and it’s helped a little. Sounds more like yours now. I’d never noticed before that they are slightly different on each side. It was only due to getting a new one that made me compare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So driving along the motorway this evening at 70, there was suddenly some new wind noise from behind my head. Looks like the one of the two places where the side window on a 5dr is attached, has come unstuck. Seems to be glued to two hinge like brackets and the top glue has failed....anyone else had this? Apart from the extra wind noise and likelihood of letting water in, I’m not sure I want to drive it much at speed in case the pressure against it sitting out breaks the other bracket.

No doubt it will be next week before the dealer can get parts/fix it :sad:

Attached pic of what it looks like now and what it should look like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exactly the same problem for me on a 70 plate gti 5 door. Just fixed today on driver side rear. Checked other side and it’s doing the same so booked in again for tomorrow to replace the passenger side. Pretty annoyed tbh as it’s only 3 months old with 1100 miles on the clock. Mechanic at vw hadn’t seen it before but could only put it down to cold weather. It’s a well built wee motor otherwise so this has definitely left me a bit perplexed. Had a skoda citigo 5 dr previously that went through 5 winters, no problem. From memory the rear windows were identical. will see what happens with the replacements. Hopefully a one off and not an annual problem. Mechanic told me they can’t just re bond them which would potentially be more secure as this would be classed as a modification and not covered under warranty. Hence the need to replace the entire unit. Crazy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Guess what? My 20 plate 5 door GTi has the same problem. Noticed it today as I was washing it. The thing is the back windows have only been opened a couple of times. Phoned up my local dealer and it is booked in tomorrow morning and a courtesy car is being provided. The person at the service desk had never heard of this problem before! Also the trim around the high level brake light is droopy as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It went in to my local dealership today to get fixed under warranty. They need to fit a whole new window apparently. Have been given a Polo as a courtesy car, seriously not impressed with it. It is definitely a white goods vehicle as it has no character or zip about it compared to my Up GTi. Can't wait to get it back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts