Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Our High Up! has a gearbox/engine rattle in 5th gear at lower rev's and when under load.

It bothers me but does not bother my wife.

I will be writing to VW shortly as I am aware that both on this forum and the Citygo equivalent that the subject has been raised by a fair few owners.

So, can I ask a question, does your car make this noise....

....gears 1 to 4 usual rorty sporty Up! noise then when moving into 5th the noise changes markedly with a distinct rattle (bit like a ball bearing in a can rattling at very high speed) making its presence heard? This is more noticable when going up hill but also tends to disappear higher up the rev range.

Not really interested in 'theories' as to why as that's been done to death so can you please post only if you have this exact same issue and/or if your dealer has any views and/or has a solution.

G

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have the exact issue on two cars. I believe that they all do it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Took delivery of my move up on Nov 3rd and 5th is fine. It is a MY13 model. Perhaps only the MY12 models suffer from it?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Unfortunately not. I've got a March 2012 Take Up and a Jan 2013 High up both of which sound identical. I'm pretty much used to it now though so it's stopped bothering me.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mine does it.

Nick

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 so far.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you search other threads you will find dozens. It has been pretty comprehensively covered.

I've posted in several in the past couple of weeks.
Edited by: Allybasher

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah ours does it :( Has also taken on a whistling sound at motorway speeds now which Im sure is coming form the box...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Allybasher said:
If you search other threads you will find dozens. It has been pretty comprehensively covered.

I've posted in several in the past couple of weeks.

I know - I just wanted to get a definitive-ish number.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
6 so far.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine rattles in all gears and has the high pitched final drive 'whistle' in 5th at 70mph.

Report has been sent to VW because dealer agreed it was noisy when compared to another up!. After 8 weeks VW's response is that they want the dealer to check against another car with exactly the same engine code as mine!

The demonstrator (also High Up) didn't rattle or not enough to be noticeable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Upmeister said:
Mine rattles in all gears and has the high pitched final drive 'whistle' in 5th at 70mph.

Report has been sent to VW because dealer agreed it was noisy when compared to another up!. After 8 weeks VW's response is that they want the dealer to check against another car with exactly the same engine code as mine!

The demonstrator (also High Up) didn't rattle or not enough to be noticeable.

Would be interested to hear how that turns out please.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine has developed a rattle when idling and is worse when cold - sounds like a chain drive. Noise goes when the clutch is depressed.

But it's the whine that I find more annoying. This developed at about 1000 miles and whilst very quiet is just loud enough on a long run to become a pain. I used to get the whine only when decelerating but now get it all the time (50 - 70 mph).

On a recent journey, mainly motorway using cruise control, it was enough to get me to drive outside this range - got to my destination quite quickly in the end! without, according to M&M, much impact on fuel economy.

On normal every day runs it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
VWXYZ said:
....It bothers me but does not bother my wife .... I will be writing to VW shortly ....
If you do write, bear in mind that "...It's
a standard feature ... drive trains whine on some but not on others ...
THESE ARE CHEAP CARS BUILT DOWN TO A PRICE ..." Honest John (of the Daily Telegraph) goes on to say
that on the basis of his postbag over the past 17 years ... VW
gearboxes on Polos and Golfs have been no better or worse that those on
Fiats, Renaults, Hondas or Toyotas. There have been fewer problems with
Fords".
From my 29 years of company cars (they had fleet of 50 cars of
the most popular makes) VW Group vehicle reliability was not outstanding. So I'm under no
illusions when I get my new up! next month

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes, I agree that VW are selling cars based on their historical reputation of solid build and reliability, but now are with the main stream. I have had more Vauxhalls than VW's and find them equally reliable but cheaper to maintain and repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The issue has been discussed in detail at the german Up-forum at motor-talk.de
In the Up, it it seems to be a combination of several factors:

*) 3-cylinder engine (vibrations)
*) simplified flywheel (costs!)
*) thin gearbox housing
*) weak acoustic damping between engine and cabin

It is also some kind of a design flaw, as during the design phase an engineer should take care that any "rattle" from the gearbox is avoided. VW probably had other priorities, so compromises were made. Plus, tolerances in actual production might have an influence.

In short: In the 5th gear under high load at low revs, the vibrations in the drive-train reach a level high enough to cause strong vibrations on one free-running gear-pair, resulting in a distinct metallic noise ("rattle"). The teeth of two gears simply "rattle against each other" (sorry, I'm not a native speaker).

Please be aware that "gearbox rattle" is a clearly defined technical phenomenon at should not be mixed with other noises from the engine or gearbox (and the Up has enough of them...)

VW is aware of the problem (confirmed by one owner who had talked to an VW engineer), but - as usual - for sure will never, ever confirm officially that there is a problem. A handful of owners in Germany had the gearbox of their Up replaced by VW, but in most cases the new one was as noisy as the old one. This was obviously only done to collect some "field data".

From forums, I would estimate that most Up have this gearbox rattle, but not every user is aware of it - for different reasons (no motorway drives, louder music, low sensitivity for higher frequencies, etc.)

BTW, this is not a real defect, so it won't result in a damaged gearbox over time. But it is also unlikely to disappear.

Georg

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's very interesting indeed and really confirms what I thought about the gearbox noise.

I know some people find it annoying but it seems to be an intrinsic part of the character of the car and a function of the lightness and affordability of the Up family.

I for one am very happy with the car, noise and all and am to be honest a little fed up with reading about it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts