Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've worked out, for my up!, I have roughly £12k to spec the car up.

I'd really love the panoramic roof, chrome pack and a few other accessories, but on the high up!, these choices send me a bit over budget. My main query is whether the 60ps variant is good on lengthy (100+ mile) journeys, or whether the 75ps version would be better on such trips?

I don't do trips like this everyday, but I'd like the car to be able to comfortably sit at 70-80mph without too much struggle. Is the 75ps variant better for this type of driving? I've read and watched every review I can find, but none really seem to cover this.

Thanks for any info provided!

Dan

·
Registered
237 Posts
Why don't you read the relevant topics of this forum (there are many) and ask your remaining questions there?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have the 60 bluemotion and find it sits very comfortably at 70 80 mph but at these speeds it dose affect your mpg still happy with it though
haven't done 100 + journeys but do a range of road types on my daily commute

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I'm not actually too bothered over the mpg at these speeds, I've read it still gets mid 40's with ease, which is fantastic compared to the low-20's I currently achieve on the motorway...

I'm still umm'ing and ahh'ing over the bluemotion, don't know whether I'd find the difference in saving that noticeable, considering the already fantastic mpg of the up!

Thanks for your input anyway :)

Dan

·
Registered
237 Posts
Clougher95 said:
I have read a few topics on here regarding my question, I'm just interested in hearing more opinions
Then why don't you ask your remaining questions in those topics?

·
Registered
604 Posts
If your journey takes you to London bluemotion will save you a packet on congestion charges (I only say that because you say you travel 100 miles + and at a guess that might be london)

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
The 60HP engine is just fine.

I use mine regularly on the motorway, and it will sit quite happily at 70-80mph. I've also been to Germany in it, and its still quite happy doing85-90mph for extended periods on the qutobahn.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Clougher95 said:
I'm still umm'ing and ahh'ing over the bluemotion, don't know whether I'd find the difference in saving that noticeable, considering the already fantastic mpg of the up!

Pointless, IMHO.

The annual VED is £20 for a 60PS up!, and the difference in consumption negligible.

Not worth the extra money.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Cruise control might be a better option

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the general consensus seems to suggest what I was hoping, thanks for your input!

It does make me wonder as to why VW would offer the 75 ps version, if the performance figures and OTR driving experience is so similar to that of the 60 ps :/

·
Registered
88 Posts
spud said:
If your journey takes you to London bluemotion will save you a packet on congestion charges (I only say that because you say you travel 100 miles + and at a guess that might be london)
Not any more. The rules changed in June and now co2 emissions have to be < 75g/km to get the exemption.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really?

That's going to annoy a few people! It's not something I do, but I imagine for those who frequently travel into London, the bluemotion package seems a brilliant idea..although not anymore by the sounds of it :/

·
Registered
121 Posts
60ps is plenty, folk have been running about in cars with ~5xhp engines for long enough.

I'm quite happy dicing it in the outside lane of the M1 & M25 in mine.

Bluemotion for me was a complete waste of money, there's no way I'd save enough over three years to make it worthwhile.

With regular CC avoidance maybe (look how that's gone!) but I'd never take the Up into London anyway as the only time I'm in there I generally have to take/collect family or bulky stuff so would always elect to take the other car and stump up or travel outside the CC times.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Up!_to_Mii said:
spud said:
Not any more. The rules changed in June and now co2 emissions have to be < 75g/km to get the exemption.
That's a joke isn't it? Surely the only way to get that is to drive an electric car, and they are heavily subsided, partly by poor people paying high electric bills, and they are not ECO, they just move the pollution to the poor estate round the power station rather than in the posh area of London. So really it is a stuff the chav, save the toff tax.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Leif said:
That's a joke isn't it? Surely the only way to get that is to drive an electric car, and they are heavily subsided, partly by poor people paying high electric bills, and they are not ECO, they just move the pollution to the poor estate round the power station rather than in the posh area of London. So really it is a stuff the chav, save the toff tax.

Not quite. 10 years ago people would've said the same about getting almost any car under 150g/km, now it's commonplace.

You're also forgetting that one of the main reasons for CC was improving the air quality in the city centre, something which offsetting the generation does well enough. There are precious few power stations that are close to significant residential areas and even those that are sited nearby will have air quality that, for 99% of the time, exceeds that of central London.

Now I'm not saying the never ending quest for lower CO2 emissions from our cars is the correct path, nor that the sudden change in exemption is defendable, but within the current framework and aims of the system I can at least see the point in trying to drive down the CO2 exemption limit, and to encourage ZEVs to support air quality objectives.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts