Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I haven't yet bought my Up as I really can't make my mind up on which one to get!decisions decisions!

Is there any noticeable performance difference between the 60 & 75BHP versions? I do about 200miles per week with about 50 of these on the motorway to work and back.

Is there any noticeable mpg difference between them?

I really take with a pinch of salt what different car journalists say in there reports and would rather listen to real people in the real world!
Ta!

Bob

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Bob,

and welcome to the forum!

You are from the UK???
I ask because of up! models available in the UK and the speed limit on motorways ...

In the UK, you have to have 60 bhp with the move up! and 75 bhp with the high up! ...

I have a 60 bhp 5 door high up! with many extras (see my link) as I live in Germany ...
I don't do much Autobahn driving but I did it just for fun to see how the up! behaves. British motorways are surely no problem for the 60 bhp move up! - and not for the 75 bhp high up!.

The UK high up! has many extras included, not only different seats and more (interior) colout combinations. If you like the high up! interior more and want some extras only available on the high up! - take it.
If you don't want to spend so much money and a car with less extras is okay for you, you will have no problems with the 60 bhp of the move up!.

My 60 bhp high up! needs "real" (not displayed) 50 mpg.
You can reach 60 mpg if you drive more A roads or motorways with the British speed limit.

I can't see any real difference between move up! and high up! in performance on British roads. Your taste should make the decision. But better a move up! with M&M than a high up! without (my mind) ...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine's a 75 BHP High Up! but I've had a couple of 60 BHP Move Up!s as courtesy cars. I can honestly say that I can't feel any difference between them. In fact, the 60 BHPs have felt slightly smoother and a bit more eager than mine, although that could be due to the way they've been driven (i.e. ragged by other customers) :)

·
Super Moderator
1,073 Posts
I agree with Umiamz, I have a 75bhp High Up! but I've driven the 60bhp on several occasions, and its hard to tell the difference between them in UK traffic. Both have the same torque figure anyway, albeit at different RPM, and the engines are exactly the same, the bhp increase comes with a different ECU, so I suppose technically, you could buy a 60bhp and fit a 75bhp ECU!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Both 60 and 75 have their max. torque of 95 Nm at 3000-4300 rpm ...

The max. hp of the 60 bhp version is at 5.000 rpm.
The max. hp of the 75 bhp version is at 6.200 rpm!!!

My 60 bhp high up! only made 750 miles so far and my limit is 2/3 of the "green rpm" - which means stop at 4000 rpm.

From my experience, this is already the "normal to max." rpm I would do without a good reason. I would not go up to 6000 rpm. With 130 km/h (80 mph) the my 60 bhp up! is under still 4000 rpm ...
Even when driving onto the Autobahn, I don't accelerate more than 3.500 rpm (and the German slip roads are not so fantastic as most UK slip roads (where you already have a long way until you reach the motorway - we have these 90° or 270° turns you shouldn't drive with more than 30 mph).

So, the choice is more a matter of alloys, interior and extras than really of the motor ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
A little known fact is the 75 hp Up has a 7% lower gear ration in the transaxle - the motor spins faster at any speed than the 60 hp.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I chose the 75bhp engine, based upon vehicles I'd previously driven.

In terms of trim, had the Move UP! been offered with a 75bhp engine at the time of placing the order, I'd have chosen the Move UP! since the Move UP! was offered with air-con.

Nonetheless, I currently have a White High Up!, with a black, high gloss dash board, heated front seats and a leather trimmed steering wheel, in addition to a M&M system.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bob said:
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I haven't yet bought my Up as I really can't make my mind up on which one to get!decisions decisions!

Is there any noticeable performance difference between the 60 & 75BHP versions? I do about 200miles per week with about 50 of these on the motorway to work and back.

Is there any noticeable mpg difference between them?

I really take with a pinch of salt what different car journalists say in there reports and would rather listen to real people in the real world!
Ta!

Bob
I had a 75 for the day whilst mine was being serviced and really could not tell the difference, however, there must be some differences or otherwise VW would surely not have bothered?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
... I had a 75 for the day whilst mine was being serviced and really could not tell the difference, however, there must be some differences or otherwise VW would surely not have bothered?
+1 ...

Many young people have always cared about bhp (and many cóntinued to do so) ...
Who cares about Nm??? But Nm are as important as the hp for good acceleration ...

As I wrote, the 75 bhp are at 6.300 rpm. Who drives his up! up to 6.000 rpm or more under normal condition? So, you will never/seldomly reach the 75 bhp ...

As a motorbike rider I know that the mixture of rpm and Nm are the key to acceleration (which is the thing which thrills us - not speed! We have no feeling for speed but for acceleration) ...
You have to feel the point where the point is to shift the gear for best acceleration.

VW surely knew about the innumerable bhp fetishists ...
So, it was easy to build a normal 60 bhp motor and a tuned 75 bhp version (so that it looks better on the paper). Ther might be (or are) some slight differences between the 60 and 75 bhp version - but these are slight differences! The Nm remain the same ...

If I lived in Britain, I would have taken the 75 bhp version; not because of the 75 bhp but because I would want a high up! ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Very good last point Cadfael....I wanted a High up for the spec, and BMT owing to my journey types, but had the high up been offered with 60bhp in that spec I would happily have taken it, not enough difference to notice...the torque is the same, and like you say who is going to take a car like the up to 6000rpm?

But things are as they are, and I had no choice in the matter

Edited by: upmancotswolds

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 75BHP High Up and it's great for the alloys, Maps, heated seats, red dash that come as standard. I tried a basic Take Up BHP and it was just as good to drive. It really comes down to whether you are charging up a motorway on a regular basis or if you want the extras that come on the High Up!Love mine, but really think I could have lived with the basic if needed to.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah I agree Robert, high up is far better specced which is why we've both gone for one. But point is, if the high up was available with the 60bhp engine as an option would you have gone for that over the 75? I think I would. Hypothetical because VW don't give you that choice here in UK but for take ups or move ups I would say the 60 is a better choice anyway whatever your journey types or driving style.Edited by: upmancotswolds

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
upmancotswolds said:
... if the high up was available with the 60bhp engine as an option would you have gone for that over the 75? ...
I did as it is available in Germany - and I am satisfied ...
If I lived in the UK, I would have taken the 75 bhp as nothing can beat a red dash in a black car.

In Germany you have to pay 6 Euro (about 5 GBP) more tax per year for the 75 bhp.
No real reason for the 60 bhp version though!
95 g/km CO2 cost 20 Euro tax in Germany. For every 1 g/km you have to pay 2 Euro tax more.
So, my 105 g/km are 40 Euro tax. The 108 g/km for the 75 bhp version are 46 Euro ...

I took the 60 bhp as it's all I need. Why pay 600 Euro extra for the 75 bhp?
The config says 4.5 litres/100km for the 60 bhp and 4.7 litres/100km for the 75 bhp but I think in the end this is nonsense and is more luck how the motor was produced and how you drive ...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Believe me that it is impossible to get all things you get in the UK!

When I was on holidays in England, Wales and the IOM I always drank Bitter or Ale and no German (or Dutch Heineken) beer! I love the English beer. All I can do here in Germany is drink German "Pils" from Ikea glasses which look like English "3/4 pint" glasses. I like "warm" beer this not so much gas.

Okay; "bitter beer" is not "pure English" but was invented because of the flemish weavers in East Anglia. They settled in England in the 11th century and denied to drink the English Ale. So, a beer was brewed with English ingrediences but the "continental way" > "Bitter" ...

Our company also sells English products (Made in Britain!). Systems for coating SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) samples with metal or carbon. You can get most, but not all products by us! We have to have a stock and spare parts without one or two month delay. We have to make manuals in German +++

Even if it may be nutty, bhp attracts ...
So, high up! owners have an additional argument when selling their heigh up! ...
(and take/move up! owners can faithfully say that this doesn't matter)

I can understand VW UK that they want a "slim range".
And no matter if take/move/high up! - you get a good car for your money ...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was asking the same 60 or 75 question when I was looking at Up!s, only to realise that, as others have observed, the engine is often dictated by which model you choose. I wanted a Move Up!, therefore it was a 60 engine.

Yet.....

Every single review (What Car, Auto Express et al) said religiously to go for the 75 engine as the 60 would flounder on long journeys.

All I can say (having never driven a 75, and only 250miles in my 60!) is that I have so far never found the 60 wanting in any area.

So. as Cadfael suggests, go for the model band you think will work for you. VW will then dictate which engine you receive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts