Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7 years and 11 months ago I joined this forum to try learn more about when the UP GT (as it was called back then) was due to launch. I was pretty excited about it and remember looking all over for every bit of info I could find. As were quite a few others here at the time.

There was a secret demo car that a few journalists got to drive and yet VW remained very quiet about how likely it was for it to make it into production. Little did we know that it was another 5 years to go before it appeared.

I just went back and found a thread from 2013 where I finally got bored of waiting and gave up but ended my post by saying "I'm sure I'll get one at some point"

Well, 7 years later - the itch is finally scratched and this was delivered today :D

TBH, it's the fact I'm WFH (with no signs of that changing) which has made me choose the UP. It's replacing a Tesla Model 3 Performance which just wasn't being used and it was driving me mad to have such an expensive car sat in the garage. The UP should be a fun car and I won't fret at all if it does next to no mileage for the next few months.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well done, right thing to do, and you won't be disappointed !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hope it meets expectations! I really like my silver 5 door!

How did you find the Tesla? I would love to try one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks !

Loved the Tesla. It was very difficult watching it being loaded onto the flatbed when they were taking it away :(

Despite all the criticism about build quality, etc mine had zero issues during ownership and I found it very easy to live with (although I have been driving EV's since 2013). The large range and the fast supercharging stations make everything straightforward. As for how it drove....just amazing. Traction and acceleration really need to be experienced to be believed, it's difficult to get across just how good it is. It's massive fun if you enjoy driving.

I did a couple of driving holidays up in Scotland which were very memorable. I can see me going back to a Tesla once we're through the worst of this pandemic. Hopefully by then the model Y Performance will be out as that was just about the only issue I had with the model 3, it wasn't great for taking my two dogs out. I'd much prefer a hatchback.

I'm going to spend some time this afternoon detailing my UP. Got some ceramic wax to apply which I used on the Tesla and I was happy with how that held up. It's currently -3°C outside, perfect car washing weather :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went for my first drive this afternoon, good fun. Really great to feel the lightness (if that makes sense :p) and it put a big smile on my face which is the main thing.

Obligatory pic. I know you've all seen a Tungsten Silver GTI before but the difference is that this one is mine :D

I bought the car used from a Ford dealer. It has just 798 miles on the clock and is mint. When I was looking in the boot to check if it had a spare wheel I found a Listers ProTech Plus pack which seems to be a £580 protection pack bought with the car. I'm intrigued as to the history, obviously nobody would spec such a thing knowing the car would be traded in a few weeks later. I'm guessing covid related misery, hope it was nobody on here :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
7 years and 11 months ago I joined this forum to try learn more about when the UP GT (as it was called back then) was due to launch. I was pretty excited about it and remember looking all over for every bit of info I could find. As were quite a few others here at the time.

There was a secret demo car that a few journalists got to drive and yet VW remained very quiet about how likely it was for it to make it into production. Little did we know that it was another 5 years to go before it appeared.

I just went back and found a thread from 2013 where I finally got bored of waiting and gave up but ended my post by saying "I'm sure I'll get one at some point"

Well, 7 years later - the itch is finally scratched and this was delivered today :D

View attachment 6196

TBH, it's the fact I'm WFH (with no signs of that changing) which has made me choose the UP. It's replacing a Tesla Model 3 Performance which just wasn't being used and it was driving me mad to have such an expensive car sat in the garage. The UP should be a fun car and I won't fret at all if it does next to no mileage for the next few months.
I sold a Hyundai i30N performance same as you just wasn’t getting used . Love my Gti just miss the pop and bangs of the i30N.
very addictive

·
Registered
588 Posts
ARGHHH !

Not even had the car a week and this just happened :mad:

View attachment 6226
Bad luck ! I had a similar windscreen impact on a deserted dual carriageway .
Thought someone had took a pot shot at me as there was nothing on the road.
Damage was to big to repair so a new screen was fitted .
Payed £75 excess with windscreen cover.
Apparently the auto glass bloke told me VW UP screens are cheap at something like £130 ish so might not be worth paying extra for the insurance ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info - just about to submit a repair request with Autoglass.

It measures about 20mm so quite large and smack bang in the middle of driver's line of sight.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts