Up Owners Club banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yip - just spoke to them. It will be a replacement but they told me I need to visit a service centre rather than have it done at home due to 'vehicle complexity' - a VW UP !

·
Registered
310 Posts
I waited 8 months for mine back in mid 2018.
It arrived in October and 8 days later somebody drove into it, requiring 2 new panels.

The odometer had 540 miles on it when it went to the bodyshop.

I know your pain.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I repaired the wife’s screen which had a smaller “bulls eye” with a £10 rain x kit .
Can’t see the repair at all .
Have used these kits before and they do work very well on smaller damage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Best thing you can do when you get these bulls eye chips . Tap it hard so it cracks and they replace the screen never seen one yet that is invisible . Couldn’t live with chipped screen would drive my ocd Mad .Stone chips are bad enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Frustrating day. The insurer's choice (Autoglass) said I would need to travel to their service centre which is miles away so I rang a few other companies hoping that I could find one that would work from my home (and I'd just suck up the cost provided it was reasonable).

The only company I found who said they'd do it was Auto Windscreens who wanted £218 so I booked it only for them to email me 10 mins later and tell me they'd made a mistake and the actual cost was £580 "due to the vehicle having a driving aid and part only being available from Volkswagen". Presumably the lane assist?

So I cancelled that and still need to figure something out :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Frustrating day. The insurer's choice (Autoglass) said I would need to travel to their service centre which is miles away so I rang a few other companies hoping that I could find one that would work from my home (and I'd just suck up the cost provided it was reasonable).

The only company I found who said they'd do it was Auto Windscreens who wanted £218 so I booked it only for them to email me 10 mins later and tell me they'd made a mistake and the actual cost was £580 "due to the vehicle having a driving aid and part only being available from Volkswagen". Presumably the lane assist?

So I cancelled that and still need to figure something out :(
When I smashed my windscreen I recall I didnt even bother ringing the insurer I just rang whoever did the work (dont recall but it will have been 'glass or 'windscreens) and they confirmed that they would do the work and they dealt with my insurer iirc.

If you tell Auto Windscreens the details of the car they will be able to check if it has the cover and they will deal with that side of it rather than you getting stuck with the insurer's choice.

You can even do it online - see below

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes, thanks

Without boring everyone with too much detail... my insurer (Churchill) only uses Autoglass who not only won't do the work at my house but they also told me this morning that they have no VW UP windscreens available to fit (on back order).

Every company that I've tried to book online with (Auto-Windscreens, National, etc) all want big bucks to do it (£580). So it seems I have to wait for Autoglass to get the UP screen in stock. It's perfectly understandable how they have non seeing as the UP is such a rare car 🤪

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah, what's bugging me is the only reason they won't do the work at my house is because the lane assist needs recalibrating and I don't give a crap about that!

·
Registered
776 Posts
This reminds me of several previous threads where we compared prices, and 'what you get and how you get treated' by different insurance companies...

How long will you wait for the back-order? It may be worth escalating this with your insurer on the basis that it is a safety issue and yet you still need to use your car, so they need to sanction an alternative supplier pronto!

·
Registered
588 Posts
When I had my new screen the whole experience went very smoothly .
Followed instructions on my insurance policy which gave a telephone number to ring.
They came out hoping it could be repaired but it couldn’t so arranged a date to fit new screen.
On the day of fitment it was raining so we drove to a underground supermarket car park where it was fitted in the dry while I went shopping.
Bloke said it’s a common windscreen so always in stock and relatively cheap to buy.
If the screen was for a Bugatti Veyron price and availability would be a bit more expensive and availability not so good lol!
Handed over £75 and was on my way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yep, done it before with a couple of other cars (a BMW i3 and a Golf) and it was all very easy with the fitter coming to my work car park.

That's what's been frustrating about this UP being more difficult, I know how easy and cheap it should be.

I just spoke to Churchill, they said they'd cover the cost of the recalibration and contribute £125 towards to price of the screen replacement from another company. So now I need to speak to AutoWindscreens again to get a breakdown of the cost to see how much of that £580 is glass and how much is calibration. Except they've shut, so I'll try again tomorrow. What fun.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts