Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , I’ve just posted the speeding ticket form off for a 79 in a 70.
I thought you’re given 10% + 2mph allowance which 79mph.
Maybe I thought wrong?
Anyway I’m just glad I’m only in a 115bhp car as even this low power can easily land you in trouble.
Good job I was taking it easy.
Who needs 200 bhp +
It’s put me off the Tesla plaid with its 1,000 bhp now lol!

·
Registered
Up gti
105 Posts
I thought it was 10 percent just, luck of the draw unfortunately :/ Can you not do the speed awareness course?

·
Registered
407 Posts
The 10% + 2 is entirely at the discretion of the police force for the area you are/were driving in.
There is a webpage where you can check. Some forces will say if they are or are not operating the allowance. Some forces decline to say.
I was done for 32 in a 30 in the West Mercia force are. That police force decline to say if they operate the allowance or not. Obviously they don’t.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was done for 32 in a 30 in the West Mercia force are. That police force decline to say if they operate the allowance or not. Obviously they don’t.
Presume you just bent over and took it?

They would have never prosecuted you and would have dropped it if you had contested it!

You can't drive around looking at your speedo all day! Worth remembering the speed limit is a maximum and you should be driving slower!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It's a tax, and you can't fight the taxman. I'm ok with dangerous speed tickets...
I lived in a town centre for 10 yes with 20mph limits, and every Friday and Saturday night, boy racers would chase each other at 50+. Never a single speeding ticket but several injured and one dead pedestrian....

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it was 10 percent just, luck of the draw unfortunately :/ Can you not do the speed awareness course?
Yes it’s luck of the draw. I did the speed awareness course 18 months ago not not sure how many times you can do that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes it’s luck of the draw. I did the speed awareness course 18 months ago not not sure how many times you can do that.
My dad got caught twice by mobile camera vans doing 35 in a 30 within 2 years and was offered speed awareness courses, which he took on both occasions. I think it depends on the where you are in the country which is a bit of a lottery. Sure beats points on your licence and higher insurance for the next 3-5 years!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dad got caught twice by mobile camera vans doing 35 in a 40 within 2 years and was offered speed awareness courses, which he took on both occasions. I think it depends on the where you are in the country which is a bit of a lottery. Sure beats points on your licence and higher insurance for the next 3-5 years!
Yes the speed awareness course would be great rather than the points.
It’s also a 4 min walk from my house where they do it lol!
BTW for everyone’s interest I was zapped by a guy crouched down in the corner of a bridge pointing his gun in a downward arching movement as I approached which was impossible to see from a distance but visible when I was maybe 150 yards from him .
Cars and vans on a bridge can be spotted but when they hide away it just not cricket lol !

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the bridge on A55 which is just before the Britannia bridge which crosses to Anglesey.
Road surface Asphalt Sky Thoroughfare Tar

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The 'hiding' thing goes to show that they are more interested in revenue than promoting safety. Visible police cause everyone to slow down.

One day, all vehicles will be automatically speed-limited by GPS or signals transmitted at the roadside. It'll probably be a good thing, as the traffic police can then concentrate on dangerous or stupid drivers more. Systems will also automatically detect and disable vehicles that are untaxed, uninsured or being driven by disqualified or unlicenced drivers, as you'll carry a personal RFID device that interacts with the car and onwards to other systems. You might even have face recognition in the car to allow only certain drivers....
The possibilities are endless and all the tech exists today...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Presume you just bent over and took it?

They would have never prosecuted you and would have dropped it if you had contested it!

You can't drive around looking at your speedo all day! Worth remembering the speed limit is a maximum and you should be driving slower!
How could I have fought it ? I was guilty of exceeding the speed limit so how could I defend with no defence ? As you say perhaps I should have been driving slower.
I’m confused. You say I should have been driving slower but tell me I should have contested it ??
I hardly think 2 MPH over the limit is a heinous crime neither do the police forces who allow the tolerance. But ours don’t so I got nicked. I’m not complaining. I did it I pay simple.

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
74 Posts
The 10% + 2 is entirely at the discretion of the police force for the area you are/were driving in.
There is a webpage where you can check. Some forces will say if they are or are not operating the allowance. Some forces decline to say.
Autoexpress FOI’d it in 2019 in response to an internet rumour that it was now zero tolerance for fixed cameras, 36/45 police forces responded and they’ve included these in the article. RAC pointed out in their response to the original article the tolerance isn’t an excuse to speed:

“The law states that you are liable for a speeding fine as soon as you exceed the limit, so even if you’re doing 31mph in a 30 limit or 71mph on a motorway, you’re breaking the law and could receive a fine.”

If it’s a radar gun or mobile van then it’s going to be the operators discretion.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Autoexpress FOI’d it in 2019 in response to an internet rumour that it was now zero tolerance for fixed cameras, 36/45 police forces responded and they’ve included these in the article. RAC pointed out in their response to the original article the tolerance isn’t an excuse to speed:

“The law states that you are liable for a speeding fine as soon as you exceed the limit, so even if you’re doing 31mph in a 30 limit or 71mph on a motorway, you’re breaking the law and could receive a fine.”

If it’s a radar gun or mobile van then it’s going to be the operators discretion.
Completely agree. We should and I do work on the assumption the posted speed is the limit. If there is a tolerance which is reasonable fine. If not we get nicked.
There was for me as there is for everyone NO excuse. Im not nor ever have complained,

As above its down to individual force areas whether to allow that tolerance. In a way it would be better if All or None allowed it then we would know for sure, But still if we stick to the limits we wont have a problem.

Back specifically to the question by the OP the tolerance even if in place was breached anyway, 70 plus 10% =77 +2 is right on the upper limit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
How could I have fought it ? I was guilty of exceeding the speed limit so how could I defend with no defence ? As you say perhaps I should have been driving slower.
I’m confused. You say I should have been driving slower but tell me I should have contested it ??
I hardly think 2 MPH over the limit is a heinous crime neither do the police forces who allow the tolerance. But ours don’t so I got nicked. I’m not complaining. I did it I pay simple.
You decline to accept the 3 points or speed awareness course and opt to go court. 95% chance they drop it and do not prosecute for such a minor speed infringement. A prosecution is not in the public interest

A few years ago, I was caught by a level crossing camera where the lights started about a second before i reached them. It was pissing down and I had someone right behind me so couldnt slam on.

I refused to accept the 3 points and wrote a detailed explanation listing all the mitigating factors and funnily enough the prosecution was dropped.

Either you suck it up or put on your big boy pants and contest it if you think it's unfair. Each to there own.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What I find ironic is that the cops are quick to prosecute you but are not very interested in dealing with actual complaints of speeding!

We live in a small village in rural North Yorkshire and have a problem on sunny days, particular weekends, with large numbers of bikes, sports cars and bloody Amazon delivery vans speeding.

Reported it to the cops who eventually set up speed recording equipment and confirmed there was a problem.

Since then no enforcement, only have you considered setting up a speed camera partnership. That would be the scheme where community volunteers gather the evidence of people speeding but all the cops do is send them a letter and do not prosecute. Complete waste of time.

Rant over......

·
Registered
707 Posts
Let's be honest if you want a police officer you will be told none are available and given a police log number for anything other than a murder these days.... Plenty of them aiming speed guns at roads that have previously had much higher speed limits and no accidents.... they love a easy target I'm not saying a total disregard for the law is ok but 4 or 5 mph on an empty road really isn't the crime of the century. Just my personal opinion I'm sure many will instantly call for me to go straight to prison 🙈

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
20,000 police officers gone in the last 10 years of cuts, and the police have more or less given up with burglary, say - so the best thing about speeding is that it has a 99% conviction rate. Every little helps as they say.

The other thing is that if you get clocked at say 79, their kit is very accurate - so the car's speedo would probably have been reading 85-ish (given how they are set by law to not under-read, so are usually giving a high reading - unless you have the wrong tyres on!).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
20,000 police officers gone in the last 10 years of cuts, and the police have more or less given up with burglary, say - so the best thing about speeding is that it has a 99% conviction rate. Every little helps as they say.

The other thing is that if you get clocked at say 79, their kit is very accurate - so the car's speedo would probably have been reading 85-ish (given how they are set by law to not under-read, so are usually giving a high reading - unless you have the wrong tyres on!).
Spot on .
It’s also surprising how easy a little low powered car can can carry decent speeds effortlessly.
I’m very impressed.
On the autobahn an indicated 100 is a surprisingly easy cruising speed .

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
IMHO, speed is irrelevant - up to point - so long as traffic conditions etc allow it.
I am far less threatened by a good driver (& car), entirely awake and sober, doing 100 on an empty, dry motorway at 2:00am than I am by a boy-racer doing 45 in 20mph zone with kids and other pedestrians about.
I understand that the law cannot written or enforced on a bunch of "ifs and buts", but that's why I like the possibility that automatic controls may allow higher speeds when safe to do so....

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agree Steve!
Down the road from me is a young lad who rips through the residential area at speeds that just takes the piss due to the usual hazards found in this environment.
I’d love to see how fast he is on a empty twisty back road against my Up gti with its pound shop suspension and zero grip Goodyear’s on silly pressures:)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts