Up Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's a revenue game plain and simple. You only have to look at where and how they site these mobile units to realise this. Also, the real cheek is that they call these things "safety cameras" whereas they are actually quite dangerous devices as they divert attention from the wider environment to a single issue speed obsession. However, I think that is a much more sinister thin end of the wedge where the motorist is being demonised on several levels. Welcome to the future, and trust me you are welcome to it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's a revenue game plain and simple. You only have to look at where and how they site these mobile units to realise this. Also, the real cheek is that they call these things "safety cameras" whereas they are actually quite dangerous devices as they divert attention from the wider environment to a single issue speed obsession. However, I think that is a much more sinister thin end of the wedge where the motorist is being demonised on several levels. Welcome to the future, and trust me you are welcome to it.
I got done as I mentioned above for 32 in a 30 by a van. It was outside of a village on a straight road ( Van hidden in a gateway) there are no footpaths along that road no schools in fact nothing…. It was also 6.30 in the morning.. It’s said an MP lives in that area. Well actually it’s fact.
The only people they were nicking were those travelling to work…..

Safety my arse ….

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Completely true .
Truck drivers are also demonised but to an even greater level , I know from first hand experience.
Hopefully I should have follow up letter this week with a speed awareness course rather than 3 points.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have noticed plenty of "near emergency braking" situations when drivers spot the white dashes or the camera - even when they going no faster then the speed limit - which on fast and busy roads is more likely to cause an accident than a few mph over the mph.

A30 east of Hayle is a good example, local-ish to me, but mind you, it is also a road where you really do see the occasional wheeled-terrorist wreaking havoc, and the crashes and regular road closures bear testament to that. But it's usually crazy/stupid people or those massively over the speed limit, not those being sensible but a little over the limit.

If only we could have "moron cameras" rather than speed cameras on the open road....

·
Registered
398 Posts
The fact is driving these days is no longer a pleasure. Thank goodness being retired i do not need to drive much.
When driving you spend most of the time looking out for speed cameras, pot holes, sunken manhole covers, road humps, and traffic signal cameras.

As has been said cameras are just cash cows. Do they catch and fine the crazy tailgaters who insist on driving 6 inches from your rear end, or the ones who pull out from side roads in front of you causing you to brake? Of course they do not.

Yes of course we should all stick to the speed limit, but does anyone really stick to 30 MPH in a 30 zone? Most do 33 to 35 MPH. Try driving at 30 MPH and you will have other drivers 6 inches from your rear causing nothing but road rage. It is even worse in 20 MPH zones when other drivers think how dare you hold them up by driving at 20 MPH when they want to fly past at 50 MPH.

As i said i drive very little these days thank goodness. However i think anyone who takes pride in driving should take the Advanced Driving Course. I took this course in the 80s and it certainly makes you more aware of other drivers and getting the best from your car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I got done as I mentioned above for 32 in a 30 by a van. It was outside of a village on a straight road ( Van hidden in a gateway) there are no footpaths along that road no schools in fact nothing…. It was also 6.30 in the morning.. It’s said an MP lives in that area. Well actually it’s fact.
The only people they were nicking were those travelling to work…..

Safety my arse ….
First time I have ever heard of a camera van being operational at 6.30am. Near us they are never out before 9.00am and they publish all their times and locations weekly in advance.

In winter the gritter arrives at the same time after all the accidents have happened!

·
Registered
424 Posts
The fact is driving these days is no longer a pleasure. Thank goodness being retired i do not need to drive much.
When driving you spend most of the time looking out for speed cameras, pot holes, sunken manhole covers, road humps, and traffic signal cameras.

As has been said cameras are just cash cows. Do they catch and fine the crazy tailgaters who insist on driving 6 inches from your rear end, or the ones who pull out from side roads in front of you causing you to brake? Of course they do not.

Yes of course we should all stick to the speed limit, but does anyone really stick to 30 MPH in a 30 zone? Most do 33 to 35 MPH. Try driving at 30 MPH and you will have other drivers 6 inches from your rear causing nothing but road rage. It is even worse in 20 MPH zones when other drivers think how dare you hold them up by driving at 20 MPH when they want to fly past at 50 MPH.

As i said i drive very little these days thank goodness. However i think anyone who takes pride in driving should take the Advanced Driving Course. I took this course in the 80s and it certainly makes you more aware of other drivers and getting the best from your car.
We live out in the sticks on the Worcestershire/ Herefordshire borders. We don’t have a straight road within 15 miles and it’s hilly … Most roads are B roads with the odd A road. Driving can still be fun. I have the GTI and a Mazda MX5 as play cars and a Toyota RAV4 late model for towing. So I still enjoy motoring. What we do have to look out for out here is cyclists who can be hidden round tight corners which is fine but less so when riding two abreast… Plus the odd horse. But both are out nearly always at weekends.
I agree it’s not easy sticking to the limits.
My GTI is quick rather than fast. MX5 about the same. Anything really fast would be a liability and a whole lot less fun than the two more modest cars I drive 👍👍👍

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Golf 7.5 R Line TDI 150 DSG
37 Posts

I'm retired and enjoy driving more than i did when i was younger, mainly because i do stick to the speed limit because there's never any hurry to get anywhere so I'm more relaxed and just enjoy the experience.

Like you, i took the Advanced Test, probably in my mid 50s. Sadly i don't use much of what i was taught nowadays except for perhaps reading the road ahead more than i did in my younger days. Did track days 'til i was 62, that really sharpens your focus on other drivers, used to get some real nutters but it made it exciting!

·
Registered
216 Posts

Ive done mine three times and still find room for improvement

Reactions: TEST DRIVER

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The main thing about driving these days (especially) is that it's only 25% driving and enjoying your car and 75% driving for the rest of the folk out there.... that's the main thing with the advanced driving test. And why really fast cars have become a liability. I think we had the best of it, some time ago, before everyone and their dog and their monkey got into big cars, clogging everywhere up, that are just too powerful for anyone on a standard driving test. Comparing with rules for motorcycles, since I first had one - they are now much stricter (lots of "donors" still, of course), but really, any 17 y.o. with enough cash can get into a car with 500+bhp per ton, or into 2.5 tons of big metal and go crazy with no experience...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am comparing driving to how it was in the 60s and 70s. In those days at the week end or when i had a day off it was so nice to put the hood down in my MGB and go for a drive in the country. Hardly any cars on the road, no cameras and no road humps.

I am still a car nut petrol head and i do still enjoy driving, but nothing like as much as i did in those days. I too am never in a hurry these days being retired which is just as well with the traffic chaos. I do fancy an MX5 for my next car so i can put the hood down again and relive those days of my youth, but i also fancy a Mini Cooper automatic.

I do not drive much these days. Average a thousand miles a year compared to the twenty thousand to thirty thousand i used to do each year when i was working or driving miles to take women out on dates. Now retired and dates are a distant memory. I use my bus pass more than i drive. However when i do drive my UP GTI it is a nice treat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Agree with most of the comments above with regards to the pleasure of driving today. I was a very keen motorcyclist for 50 years doing an average of 10,000 a year, worked as a professional instructor, did track days etc. A couple of years ago I literally woke up one morning and decided, that's enough, just too risky to continue. Among many concerns were deteriorating driving standards, peoples attitudes, the appalling physical state of the roads and the authorities illiterate understanding and approach to the use of speed. It also saddens me to say that the points that I have mentioned have got much worse during the difficult period that we have recently experienced. Also been a car nut all my life, M3's, Cooper "S" etc. Again not relevant anymore. My solution, or at least as near as I can get to a solution was to order an Up Gti which I am expecting in late September and am looking forward to immensely. Better mention, did I consider an electric vehicle, briefly, as once I took a close look at the EV religion in the round I found the whole concept to be deeply flawed on almost every level. The final nail in the coffin was when you consider the bunch of idiots trying to push you down this route are the same clowns that were advocating diesel as the great Messiah not that long ago well it speaks for itself.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just payed my £100 and collected 3 bonus points for good measure .
Watch those cameras lads lol!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you dispute it, what you need is this guy on your side.... Rowley Birkin, QC
Forehead Hair Nose Smile Lip

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Lol ! I’ve chosen to bend over and take it like a man .

Reactions: ColinT
21 - 40 of 57 Posts