Up Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very happy with my TSI (another 20bhp & ft lb would be ideal). But whilst the suspension is comfortable & very good under normal driving, when I'm spanking it the little Up gets a bit bent out of shape. Is there any collective knowledge on a way to improve handling without ruining the ride (that's good value).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am very happy with my TSI (another 20bhp & ft lb would be ideal). But whilst the suspension is comfortable & very good under normal driving, when I'm spanking it the little Up gets a bit bent out of shape. Is there any collective knowledge on a way to improve handling without ruining the ride (that's good value).
I never have any issues with the 60hp when i properly hammer it into the bends, i sometimes get an issues where the rear suspension sidesteps over large bumps but other than that i get no issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put bilstein b8 and eibach lowering springs om my 12 up. Give the car a sporty feeling. The springs make the car feel stiffer, and the schoks gave it the damping it never had sinds new. The bilstein b6 on stock springs would be an goed upgrade. Wasn't there a set one sale here?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Given the shocking UK roads, I'd avoid very hard springs or too-stiff dampers - you are more likely to make the car chop about and get destabilised. Sure, on a track, or in countries where the roads are OK, you can get away with less compliance, but I think the standard GTi spring rates and dampers are about right (although the quality of the dampers is a bit Pound-Land). I only have a humble 75ps car, on 16's but it has the same lowered springs as a GTi, and where I live, anything stiffer would definitely make the car skip about. And as for ride quality, I run at the recommended (in my user manual) 'comfort' settings and it feels about right - less teeth-damaging than the full pressures.

As said above, I'd look at new tyres first, especially if your current tyres are getting a bit worn.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For making progress on our dreadful UK road network compliance and decent damping is essential imho. I’ve just swapped out the springs on another car for ones that are actually softer than the originals, and this along with better quality dampers, has improved my point to point times dramatically, plus the ride is also far better.
Tye GTI spring rates are imo quite well chosen, given that the car has to cope with a varying car weight of maybe 400kg. The rear dampers, however are definitely a weak point, and are cheap to replace with Bilstein or similar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts