Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, quick question - does everyone elses A/C get very warm when the start stop activates? When I stopped in a queue with the engine off the air quickly heats up until I start moving.

I was under the impression Start/Stop cars put the A/C compressor onto an electrical motor, rather than the standard aux belt found in most cars, to avoid this happening...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Start/Stop will turn off the AC completely when on operation (engine off), and the air will quickly heat to ambient temperature, that's perfectly normal as the compressor is driven only by the engine's accesories belt. On high demand situations (like its really, relly hot outside) the control unit can even cancel the Start/Stop function to allow the compressor to cool the air as normal, or when the battery is low to allow it to charge, etc.
Edited by: Hambert

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine does the same and I think it's normal. With our recent hot weather I have taken to switching the start / stop off if I'm in traffic and I want to take my foot of the clutch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah right okay, I perhaps an electric A/C system would be a fairly pricey feature for a car built to a budget - I will have start deactivating the S/S if the weather continues!

Cheers for the heads up!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ed! said:
Ah right okay, I perhaps an electric A/C system would be a fairly pricey feature for a car built to a budget - I will have start deactivating the S/S if the weather continues!

Cheers for the heads up!

Nah, my Audi A4 has S/S and does the same. The only differences vs a normal system without S/S are a bigger battery and the reinforced start motor, thats it!

You can add as an extra an auxiliary heater system on the A4, which burns fuel so it can heat up the interior before you get in and start the engine on freezing days, and it also uses the ventilator to refresh the air on hot days. But never heard of an electric A/C, maybe in extra luxury models like the A8, who knows!

Cheers!

Edited by: Hambert

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a serious loss of power due to the A/C on Friday. With the temperature approaching 30c I had problems accelerating in 2nd and I could feel the difference as soon as it was turned off. So I reached over and opened the passenger window. That together with the drivers window did the job of keeping me cool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't say I've found the air-con changing at all with S/S activated. How long were you stopped for it to change temperature?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does not take long for it to heat up when the temperatures are around 30degC, my AC has never felt overly cold anyway, though I don't generally use the it that much... Edited by: Ed!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine stops too. But annoying really as my 1 year old often falls asleep in the wrong. He got really hot the other day while I waited to go into the shopping centre but needed to take him with me so I waited. Next time I'll probably turn it off before I park up and leave the engine running. Needless to say he was very sweaty when I got him out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts