Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I live in Europe and in June 2013 i bought a Volkswagen Up ( High Up 75hp ASG). Having less than 15.000 kilometres and wile driving on the highway, the a/c stopped working (hot air) and after a minute or two the car indicated that the car is overheating. I stopped right away and the car was towed to the dealership from which I bought the car. The verdict was that the a/c and the ventilator of the car have the same ECU and due to the malfunction of the a/c the ventilator did not work. Also they told me that the a/c compressor was totally destroyed internally and it would need to be changed as well as the radiator of the a/c and the expansion valve all due to aluminium fillings from the compressor.
I waited 5 working days for the parts to come and 2 days for the repair shop to install the new parts. All these days I have a replacement car, a manual Vw up. Today i was supposed to get back my car after 12 days and instead of these I get a call that they now believe that the car's evaporator has to be changed too and as a result the dashboard of the car will have to be dismantled. Not only this but according to them they have asked Vw to ship them the replacement part via air (it should take a week) but most probably that will not be accepted and they will have the evaporator in a MONTH!
What am I supposed to do? Ok all the repairs are being covered by the warranty but still I have to use a manual car for at least one more month and I will get back a car that had its engine removed in order to replace parts and with a dashboard that has been dismantled (possibility of rattling). Should I take legal actions against Vw? Thanks a lot for your precious time and sorry about the long text.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would think that a lot depends on the consumer protection law that you have in your own country. I personally think you wouldn't have grounds to take legal action against VW as they're being reasonable in what they are doing to remedy the faults and the car is too old (assuming you bought it new) to go down any sort of rejection route.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As long as it's covered by the warranty, and having a replacement car, I would happily sit and wait.

They're certainly doing the job right, because all the system may be contaminated by metal debris, and they can't leave anything inside as it would ruin the new compressor again very easily. That's why they're changin ALL the system components. If they weren't going to change the evaporator, I would have been worried.

Those parts aren't changed everyday, that's why they must wait for some of them to arrive.

Don't worry about thedismantling of the dashboard, they have the proper tools to do it and also the experience.

I would not put pressure on them, remember it's free!

Good luck!

Edited by: Hambert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts