Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen quite some people complaining about a lot of different stuff about the Up! which I think is not in its place.
I've seen people complaining about not having lighted buttons on the door-side buttons, and not having an passengers side window control on drivers side. I've seen people complain about the lack of power. I've seen complaints about no boot lights and lack of wiper interval control and also the lack of buttons for the radio on the steering wheel.

This is where I would like to remind you guys about, that this is not a £25.000 car, it is not meant to be more than a cheap city car for the common population, yet people seem to expect more of this car than I think is warranted.
You may have been too accustomed to your old VW Passat, or your old Audi A4 TSI. But this is nothing like that, this is not a car which should have the same features as one of those.

Now, see: I've gone from an old, £1400 Nissan, which didn't have nearly as much comfort options as this car got, even though it had a sales value of £24.000 back in 96'.
I kinda think that you guys really have expected too much from this great little cheap car.

This is the end of my rant.
I hope I didn't sound too harsh on you guys.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Well said, the up is designed for a purpose and IMHO it does that better than all the competition ( mini and citigo excepted)

Having come from expensive Mercedes and landrovers costing 5x as much as the up, I must say I don't miss much and just adore the cost savings.....we love our ups !

·
Registered
95 Posts
+1

Anyone who buys this car and doesn't do the "research", deserves all they get.

Jeez, it is not like the fact the engine has low power or the steering wheel does not have radio controls is a closely guarded secret. I hear there are Dealerships you can visit and even sales brochures you can look through, before parting with you hard earned

The Up! does exactly what is says it will do.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree, EXCEPT that most of the irritations we refer to would cost about £20 to put right. I would gladly have paid 7p extra, for example, to have a second grab handle/hole moulded into the plastic liner of the boot lid, so that you can also close it with your left hand, or the £10 or so it would have taken to fit a twin window control.

These forums are also read by the manufacturers and constructive comments help them to develop MY revisions. Repeating ad nauseam that "my Up! is amazing" is of little help.

Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
957 Posts
You are all correct and have valid opinions but :

For the prospective buyers who visit this forum it's a great little car and better than most of the competition.

For the manufacturers (search robots) visiting this site it's still a great car and we know you are trying to keep the price down but can't we have a few more options that we are willing to pay extra for like twin window controls, rear wheel arch liners ..................etc, etc.

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
851 Posts
Derkie54 said:
You are all correct and have valid opinions but :

For the prospective buyers who visit this forum it's a great little car and better than most of the competition.

For the manufacturers (search robots) visiting this site it's still a great car and we know you are trying to keep the price down but can't we have a few more options that we are willing to pay extra for like twin window controls, rear wheel arch liners ..................etc, etc.
We already have the comfort pack, so why not a convenience pack that provides a driver's door window switch for the passenger side and a boot light among other things. That way, customers get what they want and VW get to make more money. Everyone's a winner!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Citigo but agree with everyone else, and would also like to add a request for two 5v 1a USB power supplies for dashcams - one above the rear view mirror, one at the rear central brake light. Both should obviously be fused. The boot area should also have an auto-on LED light and another 12v cig lighter socket.

I'd have paid around £120 just for the USB sockets, and another £20-£30 for the LED light - make it an accessory which slots into a receptacle or something.

Alternatively, I could perhaps request an option for a built-in front & rear HD dashcam system for £300+ - it could be integrated into the central brake light & the front windscreen safety sensors.... go on, VW/Skoda, be a trailblazer :)

Edited by: smargh

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I totally agree with your original post Blackpuppy but it looks like its fallen on a few deaf ears. I must admit that I should have done better research before buying my Up! as there are a few missing essentials. No soft close doors, no automatic boot opening, no reversing camera, no electric opening rear windows operated from the drivers door, no engine compartment light, no rear passenger light. The list is endless why did I buy an Up!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I really miss the fridge my rangerover had....what is one to do with the chablis !!!

(tongue very firmly in cheek) ...though it was good to stop chocolate melting on hot days!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I used to use the air conditioned glove box on the BMW for that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well said OP

I'd rather go without the alleged 'essentials', and have a better build then a piece of s*** Citroen, Fiat or Peuguot...my Take UP! is as basic as they come, so I'll be right at home as I usually drive VW's that are 40+ years old, they don't even have discs brakes

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Good to hear Silverado. I'm sure you will have a great deal of pleasure owning an Up! Happy motoring.

·
Registered
251 Posts
VW aren't stupid: they deliberately make the Up! 'a bit crap', so people who want more are forced to move up to the Polo... where the profits are.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Upman has nailed this on the head.The Up! is an excellent car but if you want a better spec than whats on offer ( ie lit buttons, boot lamp ect,ect) then you're going to have to put your hand back in your pocket and pull out a much fatter stack of cash and buy the car that has these nicer parts, The Polo. Excellent marketing, and it works. I must say I do like the new Fender spec Polo and when the time comes I will be very tempted to buy a Polo for this reason ( built in Sat Nav and so on ).
I would be very interested in seeing extras offered by aftermarket companies who can or will offer any nice extras that the Up!. I for one would rather spend a few quid on fitting these to my Up! than buying a Polo. The Up! just looks so much better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Only gripe I have (so far) is no window control for the passenger window on the driver's side. If I need to clear the passenger windown by putting it down (or if I've "blown off" and want to clear the aroma!) this is a problem - having to lean over or just have one window down.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Why not stick a tube up your backside and dangle the other end out the window.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Beevee said:
Why not stick a tube up your backside and dangle the other end out the window.
That doesn't work. I use a catheter which runs into a milk bottle in case I need a piddle on a motorway. Extra tubing gets tangled up. Best to wear Tena pants with charcoal. They filter the pong quite well although if you have hard gas and poo yourself you'd still need to sit on a towel. Otherwise just wear 2 or 3 pairs of grundies.Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think it's because the general populace of today are a bunch of wusses. You don't have to wind the clock back very far to realize how luxuriously equipped today's cars are, even entry-level models like the Up.

Ten years ago, I got my first car: an Aussie 1973 Ford Falcon with no power steering, no power brakes, no air conditioning, a manual choke, and nothing catering to driver/passenger comfort with the exception of a cigarette lighter and ash tray. The few cars I owned after that weren't much better equipped either.

I think the Up is more than adequately equipped for it's design purpose and it's price. People should know what they're in for before they sign the dotted line. If you're not happy that your car doesn't have a six-way power bum wiper and dash mounted espresso machine, then why did you buy it?

Edited by: up_take87

1 - 20 of 21 Posts