Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012/13 High Up. I had left the car in a public car park for 6-7 hours. While I was away it had rained, probably quite heavily. When I got back to the car the inside of the windscreen was saturated in condensation and then I discovered that the driver's footwell was sodden. It took many days with a heater to dry it out.
I looked for the possible cause. After some research and after inspecting the area under the plastic cover directly in front of the windscreen where the windscreen wiper motor is (plenum chamber?) I concluded it must be blocked drain holes. So I cleaned those out. But the footwell has flooded again after more heavy rain.
Has anyone else suffered from the problem? If so what was the cause and how did you fix it?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
probably a windscreen seal.... just my $0.02 worth....good luck finding it

·
Registered
384 Posts
Definitely check any seals that lead to the driver's side (door and window), but I think there was a thread about this same problem that turned out to be the seal for the wiring connections between the engine compartment and the driver's footwell being installed upside down on early models - let me see if I can find it...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Found it - bulkhead seal where the AC pipes go through, not wiring, but principle's the same:

Also some other threads about wet footwells that may be of assistance/interest:

Reactions: Privatedoc

·
Registered
WV Up! 2013 60 HP 5 Doors
5 Posts
I have a 2012/13 High Up. I had left the car in a public car park for 6-7 hours. While I was away it had rained, probably quite heavily. When I got back to the car the inside of the windscreen was saturated in condensation and then I discovered that the driver's footwell was sodden. It took many days with a heater to dry it out.
I looked for the possible cause. After some research and after inspecting the area under the plastic cover directly in front of the windscreen where the windscreen wiper motor is (plenum chamber?) I concluded it must be blocked drain holes. So I cleaned those out. But the footwell has flooded again after more heavy rain.
Has anyone else suffered from the problem? If so what was the cause and how did you fix it?
Thanks in advance!
Hello,
Since i have the car, have been two years and i have this problem, driver footwell soaked with water and i could not find the issue until yesterday when i took out the front seats, carpet and insulation and after that i went to the car self wash. I washed with the turbojet and a friend with the flashlight inside looking for leaks, and the water was coming in through joints inside the car at front left wheel bay, that curved part from the body. There are many metal pieces which forms the body curvature and those joints does not seem too well insulated, i will attach some pictures with that zone.
My solution: (hope that will fix it for many years)
I bought a tube of adhesive and insulation for metal parts ( SikaBond AT Metal) and i insulated all those joints....now i will leave the car inside to cure the adhesive and tomorrow i will put everything back in place.
It is a shame that this happens on a modern car, and i saw on forums many users complaining about this issue. The only way to find out the leakage is to take out everything and go to a car wash and during washing focus on the wheels bay, under the floor and maybe on the windshield.
Hope this will help others.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bugger me that’s not a job anyone wants. Great work finding it and posting so we all know what could be causing a leak.

·
Registered
917 Posts
There have been a few of these. Also on the Briskoda site.
Looks like a manufacturing defect.

In what years were the affected cars built?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bugger me that’s not a job anyone wants. Great work finding it and posting so we all know what could be causing a leak.
Indeed... Takes some time to do it... I was lucky that I started Friday evening and today Sunday about lunch time I will finish it. So about an weekend will do the job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There have been a few of these. Also on the Briskoda site.
Looks like a manufacturing defect.

In what years were the affected cars built?
I could not find the same defect on the forum, maybe I did not search enough. My car is from 2013, the 5 door standard model.

·
Registered
917 Posts
There have been a lot of wet interiors though, and some have been down to blocked drain holes, leaking seals et al. I've definitely seen leaking seams come up somewhere else as well....

I wonder if some of those other leaks may have in fact, been down to seams as well.

I'm not sure post-facelift cars have reported bad seams, but it's also possible that with pre-facelift, there was a batch that were improperly finished. VW will never own up to this, if it's true!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I posted a message last week about a leak in my 2012 high up. Another leak thread

It looks like I have the same leaking seam issue as @ionut

I was able to confirm it by removing the plenum chamber cover and pouring water directly into the chamber, avoiding the windscreen. It drains through the holes but water is coming into the interior footwell through the seams. This is almost certainly a manufacturing defect, it seems to be a common issue popping up with cars of this age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I posted a message last week about a leak in my 2012 high up. Another leak thread

It looks like I have the same leaking seam issue as @ionut

I was able to confirm it by removing the plenum chamber cover and pouring water directly into the chamber, avoiding the windscreen. It drains through the holes but water is coming into the interior footwell through the seams. This is almost certainly a manufacturing defect, it seems to be a common issue popping up with cars of this age.
And did you manage to solve the problem?
i was pointing the turbojet over the windscreen and plenum chamber but no water was coming inside from there, but then i was pointing the jet underneath the car and between the front side part of the body and the mud plastic cover above the wheel, and then i saw water coming inside at the places indicated in the pictures above.
Now...i am thinking to also take out the mud cover from front left wheel and also check there, it must be some hole or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Below are 2 short videos to see better the zones with the leaks. Are filmed by a friend of mine (a she) despite being a slim fit girl, even for her it was difficult to make a good spot video. Hope it helps! ☺

1 - 13 of 13 Posts