Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the winter I'm going to treat her to a thorough valet, polish the works.

There is a dodo dad near me who will do the full works, wash, decontamination, clay bar, wax etc for £200.

I don't want to do this myself, has anyone got a good mobile valeter idea to bring her back to showroom?

·
Registered
176 Posts
£200 for a valet, despite what the valet company promise to provide, seems incredibly steep.

Taking into consideration that the Up is a relatively new introduction, a clay bar wax shouldn't be necessary, since the paintwork should still have maintained a fair amount of its lustre.

If you are so concerned with maintaining your Up with that showroom like appearance, then I'd suggest that once winter is over, you consult your local VW dealership, in order to ascertain how much they charge for a full valet.

I dare say, it'll probably cost a lot less than the £200 you have been quoted and if you're unhappy with the level of finish, your VW dealership will do their upmost to put the problem right.

If not, you can always complain to VW head office.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I doubt a VW dealer has any real skills in valeting/detailing. They wash new cars when they come in, and wash and Hoover out cars that are in for a service that don't get looked after by their owners, keeping your average owner happy who are not that interested in paintwork care/condition. I doubt they'd even know what a clay bar is!

So scrubnut, are you after some recommendations/ prices to compare with your local dodo dad?

I keep wondering if they apply any wax at the factory, or are they just shipped out with bare paint? Makes you wonder when cars have their bonnets and roofs covered with a protective sheet these days, probably relying on the dealer to wax it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy T9 said:
So scrubnut, are you after some recommendations/ prices to compare with your local dodo dad?
Yup that's it.

Mini used to have a spa where they polished and cleaned everything, but I'd just like to know if there is a company that are good and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If your near manchester, Shinerama is decent! I do everything myself but I decided when its due its mot i'm going to take it for the 'bees knees' wash to get any swirl marks etc corrected lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Itzben said:
If your near manchester, Shinerama is decent! I do everything myself but I decided when its due its mot i'm going to take it for the 'bees knees' wash to get any swirl marks etc corrected lol
Cheers.

I'm in the south though. These dodo guys are interesting...I have several near me and they are all different with different prices. I don't expect I'll need swirls removed, but it would be good to have the top coat flatted and cleared of brown iron deposits etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Never used the guy but Kleen Machine seems to be pretty reputable. You could also try emailing Chemical Guys UK and asking if they have any recommendations on detailers, I buy pretty much all my products from them and they are great and I believe that they have a recommended detailer section.

£200 sounds fairly competitive for a full valet, I spent £120 on product for my car when I bought it so that plus a days labour is easily over £200.
I would say the car should certainly be clayed and flattened, my car came with loads of swirls and contamination from the dealer. You probably know this but VW or pretty much any car dealer can't wash cars properly let alone detail them..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driving around Devon for a week and she is filthy

Haven't cleaned the paintwork but I have done the wheels....used bilberry 5:1 and my noodle mit. All lovely again.....except have driven back to Hampshire......dirty again

I overtook a DB9 which upset the driver a bit.

I've noticed the clutch squeal under load in 1 and 2. Now I know it might be heat shield/thrust bearing I'll give the dealer a call. I don't think it's a big deal but it needs sorting. Apart from that, what a fab little car.

I've noticed that when I drive at 70 mph, everyone wants to overtake me. When I drove an M5 at 70 mph, nobody overtook me. What's that about then ?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I overtook a DB9 which upset the driver a bit.

I should think they would be a bit upset considering the money they have spent...but do they get more enjoyment for their £££

....Err....probably...Yes.

I've noticed that when I drive at 70 mph, everyone wants to overtake me. When I drove an M5 at 70 mph, nobody overtook me. What's that about then ?[/QUOTE]

I think it is called ...Inverted Snobbery

Go well.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Clay barring has nothing to do with the age of the paint.

I've had to clay my car twice since purchasing it in May, purely because of industrial fallout impregnating the paint and rusting, causing tiny rust specks. It will depend on the location you live, buy anywhere near a large city and airborne pollutants will be falling onto your paintwork daily.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm on Dartmoor most of the time, so the only fallout is from birds! There are a few obvious brown spots though mainly near the boot hinges which were probably already there. I suppose they are on all cars but just obvious on white ones?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Scrubnut said:
I'm on Dartmoor most of the time, so the only fallout is from birds! There are a few obvious brown spots though mainly near the boot hinges which were probably already there. I suppose they are on all cars but just obvious on white ones?
Known issue, mine has the same, and another member took their car back and had the area repainted. I'm going to bring it up with them come 1st service time.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shakotanVIP said:
Scrubnut said:
Known issue, mine has the same, and another member took their car back and had the area repainted. I'm going to bring it up with them come 1st service time.
I remember reading about this on here a while ago. Do you know what causes this and is it in the paint or the metalwork?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts