Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At long last I have found a easy(ish) way to transfer all of my ITunes to and SD card so I can have my music library on my M&M.

Google has an app called Google play - you can use it on any desktop/laptop or Tablet.

Basically when you have opened it (you will need a gmail email address) it allows you to upload all of your ITunes library to a cloud (apart from those songs/albums that are DRM protected)Google play will automatically convert them to MP3 and add any album cover artwork.

This may take quite a while depending on the size of your library and broadband speed - I just left mine overnight.

Once it has uploaded the music to the cloud you can then have the option to download the music and most importantly where to - you need to ensure that your SD card is plugged into your PC, then choose to download all of the music to your SD card.

Google will then get busy putting all of your library on the SD card in the M&M friendly MP3 format - again this will take a while depending on library size and broadband speed (I left mine to it overnight)

You should then be able to put the card in your M&M with all of your music available!!!

I will reiterate that it will not work with DRM protected music, ITunes fortunately has not forced users to have this for a while (so should only be a real issue for older ripped music) but apart from that it works a treat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Isn't it a bit extreme to first upload your music to the cloud and then download it, using a lot of time and bandwidth just to get it on a SD card?
I just drag'n'drop whatI want to hear from my iTunes music folder to an SD card, this works with coverart and other info. I have only had my UP! since this monday, and have mostly used the Bluetooth streaming feature, though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really as ITunes automatically stores music in an AAC format rather than MP3, this format is not compatible with most Mp3 players M&M included.

The alternative is to get ITunes to convert your music to MP3 but this is very time consuming and messes up the libraries as it produces duplicates of every thing.

I have not found an easier method that does not involve purchasing software.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have just opened my iTunes folders through my computers, and gone through to the subfolder containing music. All I've done then is drag and drop the album folders onto the SD card, and it works fine. On purchased music that isn't DRM free too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Myself like many other ITunes users have had iTunes automatically rip music to the AAC format which is not compatible to MP3 player of which M&M is one. The fix I found does work, try playing AAC music on the M&M it will not work.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hmmm I might be being stupid but I have finally got a micro sd and adaptor so it plugs into my mac, I opened my itunes and opened the sd card folder next to each other and I just dragged what I wanted onto the sd card, I'm not very technical with things like this I don't know what format they are in but I plugged into my m+m and it worked straight away. But after reading this I'm under the impression it shouldn't work?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bad, I have been assuming that the M&M wont let you play ITunes AAC music, so I have been fannying around for months when I could of just dragged and dropped them on to my SD card!! Bugger - ah well now I know!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I can confirm if you purchase an album off iTunes you can just drag and drop to the M&M unit. The album plays fine without the need to remove the DRM. One thing to note is that when you play the first track the unit crashes but after the reboot the whole album plays fine from then on.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Had no crashes either but not got album art work, it all plays in order aswell.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I only get crashes on the purchased music. if you play the tracks out of the car it seems fine. bit odd, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just to add my 2p: I can also confirm that M&M plays AAC files. I copy from iTunes on my Mac to a micro SD and then insert the micro SD in M&M. Very quick and easy, although I haven't bothered with artwork.
Now I just need to figure out why the Bluetooth streaming option is greyed out - it used to work fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts