Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at trading my 68 plate A3 Black Edition for an Up Gti. I do 2-3k miles a year and only really use my car to commute 24 miles to/from work (country roads). I would like to reduce my outgoings too. Anyone else made a similar switch and how have you found the Up in comparison ? Thanks folks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Went from a Q2 Black Edition and the only 2 things I miss are Apple car play and led lights. Every thing else is ace.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I went from 190bhp and 360 ftlbs and have absolutely no regrets .

·
Banned
645 Posts
Just make sure you get a true value for your Audi.
Remember the Audi costs considerably more than the humble Up! GTi, and no main dealer really likes to take a p/x vehicle, that costs quite a bit more than the car its being exchanged for.

Before you hand over your nice Audi, get a proper market valuation for it, by visiting a Audi dealers, and see what they are asking for forecourt examples.

Its really best to sell your Audi privately, as then you will get a fairer price for it, but arrive at the dealership, knowing exactly what your car is worth, and do not budge on that figure.

Its ever so easy to swap a higher value car for one costing less money, and ive never visited a Vw dealership that willingly hands over a cheque to make up the value of your car, against one costing less.

I am sure you already know the above, and would never walk into a car dealership blind, and simply being treated like a mug handing over a very desirable Audi for a Vw citycar.

I swapped my very low mileage 26 month old A1 Tdi Sport for my 5dr Move Up.
It was a straight swap, no money changing hands, my car for a brand new delivery mileage Metalic Blue Move Up.

Obviously the refinement and build quality of the Audi is far superior to the Up!, but like yourself, i do small annual mileage, and the Up! suits my needs.

My Up! GTi is my play thing, only venturing out, when the weather conditions and traffic will allow.
Its only been out twice since the beginning of Nov, as there is simply too much road salt on the roads.

The Gti is a great little car, full of character, superb on fuel, and maybe not a patch on the Audi, but still a great little car.

I can see why you are thinking of changing, but make sure the deal on the table reflects the quality of the car your giving away.

A 68 plate Audi A3 Black Edition would end up on a dealership forecourt, at probably several thousand pounds more than you will be offered.
It will be a very easy car for any VW to move on, at a handsome profit.

Good luck, but make sure you are getting a fair deal, as your car is very desirable on the nearly new market.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Went from a Golf R to GTI for daily, 24 miles to the office on mix of roads, I generally take the twistiest route home these days.

Yes there are some compromises in space etc and I do not drive the wife's R unless we are going somewhere and both are driving or we need more boot space.

Fuel bill practically halved over night

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not entirely similar but I traded in an m135i to save on fuel, tax and insurance as I moved to a city and so far have no regrets despite the power difference. Not that the BMW didn’t have character, but the GTI just has more. It’s not perfect but it’s a lot of fun and gives everything a good go. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed as long as you understand the differences. I found taking two test drives helped me decide. Gave me mulling time after the first to fully think about it, then another drive to seal the deal. Oh yeah, and the Up is a **** of a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, fairly positive replies. I've rang 2 dealers and they didn't know it had been re-released ! Oh and I can't get the configurator to work. Do they want to sell cars or what ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah the GTI configurator is ballsed atm. I sent VW UK a twitter message today as I wanted to spec up a new’un, here is their response.

“Hi pwolski, we are aware of some technical difficulties with the up! configurator page and download the latest brochure and these are currently being investigated by our Digital Team. We're expecting these to be resolved by tomorrow and we thank you for your patience.”

Surprised that dealers aren’t aware - did you speak to new sales or just front desk? Either way give it a week or two and I’m sure they’ll all know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts