Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When washing my car yesterday I noticed a brown stain at the join between the roof and the rear quarter panel, ( the top corner off the boot lid points right to it). when I cleaned it off I found a hairline crack in the end of the weld on the joint. I'll keep an eye on it and if it continues to weep rust it's back to the dealers. Can anybody let me know if they see anything similar. Don't even want to think about how a dealer would fix this as they would have to grind out and reweld and it's not an easily accesible area.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wouldn't be very happy if that really is a failed weld. Close to being a new car job, I'd say?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I wouldn't hang around watching it, get it straight back to your dealer, that's unacceptable on a spankers car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not seen any on mine sorry, however. ..

Bear in mind I am a girl and my description isnt the most technical! But behind the wheel that silver disk that goes round maybe breaks? It is behind the alloys (high up alloys) the silver coating is coming off and its all rusty? Is this normal on cars? I have had mine since November and done around 5500 miles please help :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sounds like you mean the brake discs to me, and yea, sounds normal to me.
They do get a bit oxidised from time to time, normal use will bring them back to their normal silver finish :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sounds as if you are talking about the front brake discs. If so they will often look rusty.The brake pads clamp onto this disc when you apply the brakes.Over night dampness in the air will put a surface of light rust on the discs, which soon goes when you apply the brakes next day. Nothing to worry about. All quite normal.
Go well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There you go.Dave beat me to it

Go well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Its the back drivers side wheel that has it I didnt look at the others to see if they were the same, I noticed it around 5pm, I drice my caratleast 30miles most days and surely the breaks dont have enough time to rust up? Well I dont know here is a picture... not very good as my phone focused on the alloy lol

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Ah, then no. That shouldn't be rusty, that's a drum brake, and specifically, the drum that you can see. The get your dealer to check it over, it could be harmless, but if it's quite aggressive, it could spell problems for the future.

·
Registered
86 Posts
See I said I was bad at explaining! & oh no okay, thank you! I hope it isnt anything serious i will check the other wheels tomorrow morning, I have had many problems already let alone more! I still love my UP! Though :)
Thank you

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ye mines rusty to and its pi**ed me off! Bin thinking on painting it lol was going to make a thread on here and ask" is it special paint you use for brake calipers and drums" lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glad its not just me then, well not really as wish it wouldnt happen in the first place,
But I will ask at VW hopefully tomorrow and I will post the outcome of what they say... my boyfriend does work for vw so I could just ask him to ask

·
Registered
86 Posts
He is a mechanic lol but still can get me cheap parts ;) cheap/discounted everything

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You lucky swine :p if ever he has second thoughts on his sexuality, I could probably go gay for cheap parts.....
Just saying haha.

·
Registered
448 Posts
People people! We must not stray off Topic...look at the trouble we have caused today by being chatty Human Beings!
Bekah, rear brake drums will get their surface paint cracked by the fact thet the wheel is bolted to it. I know it is not nice to see rust on the brake drums through your nice alloy 's but it happens. You could re pain the drums , but it will happen again. The brake drums are very thick metal so it is not a problem other than not looking nice.

Go well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts