Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning the dust off my dash yesterday and noticed my black glossy dash isscratched

It is just above glove box right in the middle 1/2 inch long and quite deep

has any one else damagedtheir'sand can it be repaired ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Might be a chipsaway job unless your a dab hand with a fine brush, base coat, clear coat, and polishing grits, compounds.

Is it just in the clear coat or does it go into base colour coat? This I expect will be a problem with the dash, my mum insists on putting her hand on the front of the dash to reverse into the seat... Her rings, bracelets etc all bang scratch and rattle on the dash as she drops to the seat... I expect that I too will find same damage on my dash soon!

·
Registered
677 Posts
aww sorry to hear that!! its worse when its black cause it's more noticeable. Luckily I've not seen anything on my red dash .... yet!

That was one of the reasons why I originally wanted the white dash in my Up, but wasnt allowed that combo. I've got a white iPhone and iPad and both have very faint hairline scratches on it but you can't see them cause its white! I've seen scratch remover stuff on ebay and in some gadgety shops, that might do the trick?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Place you hand with the knuckles facing the dash and and gently draw you nails across the scratch. If you can feel it with your nail its unlikely that it will 'polish' out, but if not you could try something likehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-PlastX-Plastic-Polish-296/dp/B0000AY3SR.

I'd imagine that the dash is what is called 'Piano Black Plastic'. Not sure therefore if it's something that Chipsaway would be able to deal with. If the scratch cant be removed you're either looking at a vinyl wrap (I'd guess £50-£100) or a new dash insert (£??)

Edited by: bazves

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Markmod1 said:
Might be a chipsaway job unless your a dab hand with a fine brush, base coat, clear coat, and polishing grits, compounds.

Is it just in the clear coat or does it go into base colour coat? This I expect will be a problem with the dash, my mum insists on putting her hand on the front of the dash to reverse into the seat... Her rings, bracelets etc all bang scratch and rattle on the dash as she drops to the seat... I expect that I too will find same damage on my dash soon!
I don't allow passengers unless they first put on some slippers & velvet gloves..

I suggest you get a pair of gloves for your mum, however make it seem like its just a lovely present, then you will also score "good son" points..

My mum used to have a mini metro, and she used to leave sticky plum stones all over the dash!!!!
lol...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same problem, I tried various means for polishing plastic, even the special features, and nothing helps. I did not think that the dashboard will be so weak the paint. Now I only use the handle on the dust.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have you tried super resin polish on it, it's good on the bodywork for repairing the laquer on the car, may help the dash?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Isn't the black dash 'deep black pearl' finish? So presumably it's a painted finish rather than glossy plastic? I think just the control panel, stereo and steering wheel trim are piano black.

Do they do a clear 'wrap'? If so could be worth getting the dash wrapped before it gets damaged - if it's of major concern.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Upmeister said:
Isn't the black dash 'deep black pearl' finish? So presumably it's a painted finish rather than glossy plastic? I think just the control panel, stereo and steering wheel trim are piano black.

Do they do a clear 'wrap'? If so could be worth getting the dash wrapped before it gets damaged - if it's of major concern.
The question about whether the dash is painted/lacquered or moulded plastic is the key one. If it is the latter than polishing will be difficult if not impossible. I don't know the answer to that one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with quite a big scratch on my red dash although not particularly deep. I could still notice it though when the light reflected. Today I polished it out with some brasso. Applied a small amount to a yellow duster and gently polished. Used a second duster to buff off and<h1 style="font-family: georgia, arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 27px; font-weight: normal; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 12px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: normal; ">voilà :)</h1>Maybe you could give this a try?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
up!up!up!

I think it may be a little to deep for that to work, may need filled and polished but I dont know how, I may consult my local paint shop

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My dash is a deep black pearl painted finish. Scratches will happen, very annoying! But I assume they can be fixed at a price

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just noticed a scratch on mine. If it doesn't polish out anyone know if you can get a replacement black piece & if so how much?

·
Registered
568 Posts
The posts you are referring to date back to 2012. These people may have long gone by now. Don't use Brasso wadding; it will introduce lots of micro scratches and make a right mess of your dash !!

Edited by: dash

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I forgot about my scratch until I saw this thread!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Realise that but just asking on the off chance. Found out that black piece not available on its own, have to replace whole dash! Bit extreme. However may be possible to do a "smart" repair so that's next port of call. Thanks for advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts