Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am considering of buying a new volkswagon UP. Yet i am concerned about the clutch issue as this seems to be a common problem.

Also i read that models manufactured from June 2013 have a modified clutch padel that does not have this issue.

Can anyone confirm this please?

Ken

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hello Ken and welcome to the forum.
I have a May 2013 car and I have no issues with the clutch it works ok.
Overall I am very pleased with the car and I would happily buy another.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Derkie54 said:
Hello Ken and welcome to the forum.
I have a May 2013 car and I have no issues with the clutch it works ok.
Overall I am very pleased with the car and I would happily buy another.

Wot he said.

Nobody is going to come onto a forum and start a thread saying "I have got no problems with the clutch"

Neither does anyone come on and say "I have no problems with the heated window switch". In both cases it's non-news.

However if someone does say they have a problem with the clutch then others may well agree that they have a similar problem, but the total number commenting is tiny in comparison to those who have no issues.

I, and thousands of others not on this forum, have no problems. So unless you wish to spend your time doing standing starts at Santa Pod then buy the car and enjoy a great little vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
got 2 manual up!s, over 40,000 miles between them...not missed a beat , no probs other than a loose heatshield rattle that was quickly fixed by dealer.

buy with confidence....best cars we've had in ages!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi Ken

Somewhere on this board is a thread about VW updates and I'm sure I read that they'd changed aspects of the clutch quite recently.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We have got a Citigo that has covered over 16k in less than a year and never once had a clutch problem

·
Registered
59 Posts
Occasionally I find I don't get 1st to engage, but had that on all previous
cars I've had. 2nd attempt no problem. There is also a clicking noise releasing from first, IF done quickly on mine, but it's fine if you don't rush. I am still very happy with car and would recommend.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My up! is approaching a year old, we've done 11,000 miles, absolutely no problems at all, it's a brilliant little car, love it to bits. Since 1/9/12 it has averaged 49.30 mpg, that's real mpg not M&M on a mix of motorway, A, B and minor roads. I've just taxed it for the first time - 20 quid, what's not to like? As the others have said, buy one and enjoy it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
ken481 said:
Hi

I am considering of buying a new volkswagon UP.  Yet i am concerned about the clutch issue as this seems to be a common problem.

Also i read that models manufactured from June 2013 have a modified clutch padel that does not have this issue.

Can anyone confirm this please?

Ken
Hi Ken, there's nothing wrong with the clutch itself, it works just as it should. There's just a slight mechanical click from the pedal; TBH I don't really notice it anymore. Don't let this put you off buying one; it's a great little car - I'm delighted with mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My car was built in 2012, and has no clutch problems or noises. Actually a dream to use. Will often refuse to go into first gear sometimes at first attempt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts