Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ABS / Traction Control light is on in my Move Up! (2013).

Just happened tonight.

Anyone know what's likely to be the cause?

Car drives okay.

Can KwikFit fix it?

Thanks,

Stpehen.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sorry, not sure why the light is on, could be a few reasons including a dodgy ABS sensor, but I would caution you about using KwikFit unless you have good reason to trust a particular branch. If you do not own, or know someone with, an OBD scanner I would take it to VW or a recommended independent garage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@wellfan - thanks for the tip. I just bought a scanner from Amazon. We'll see what it says. (I don't trust KwikFit but I would imagine the dealer will be more expensive.)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Invest in a OBD port scanner, then you can diagnose the problem yourself.
Your at the mercy and honesty of a company, who will no doubt charge a decent sum to hook their diagnostic equipment.

There can be numerous reasons why a fault light appears on your dashboard, and for less than £20, you can diagnose the fault yourself.

If it is ABS related, then confirm it for yourself.

It might be a fairly straightforward fix, costing a few pounds, or something more expensive.

Either way, I want to confirm it for myself, and not relie on the honesty of others.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am not sure how detailed a report a cheap scanner will give. I have a few, started with a cheap one from Amazon that was fairly good at identifying codes in my daughters Meriva, but did nothing on a Vauxhall Mokka and Vauxhall Agila. Bought a Vauxhall specific one that would do the Meriva and the Agila, but still not the Mokka. But was good at identifying and clearing codes on the Meriva, which I wanted it for anyway.
Hopefully the one you have bought will at least pick up some codes, but not sure it will do the ABS. Anyway, just my thoughts based on my experiences.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@wellfan - Thanks. It should be here later today. Hopefully It will give me some sort of information. I'll report here what I get out of it, if anything.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@wellfan Thanks for the tip. I'll contact the eBay seller & check it'll work on an Up! I suspect it may be the ABS ECU. I tested the brakes at low speed on a damp (Empty) road just now and the car went into a skid, so the ABS is definitely not working. Might just take it to KwikFit. Dunno. I'll have a think.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I own two OBD scanners.
All they do, is plug into the multi pinned OBD port under the steering column, on your right hand side, and take their power from the cars main electrics.

Once the scanner accesses the cars ECU, it will instantly pick up any fault codes that suddenly appear on your cars dashboard.

Look the code up on the internet, and BOBS YOUR UNCLE.

Personally i would avoid Kwik Fit like the Plague, i simply would not trust the company when the possible repair bill may be fairly small, or large.

I want to know exactly whats wrong, and how much the repair will cost, not being told an easy repair costing a few pounds, is going to be a big bill.

As for the scanner not working on a VW, they work on every single car on the market, with a OBD port.

Last year i hooked my reader up to a friends Passat, which had a warning light that told him, there was this particular part of the throttle body, that needed replacing.

It was not a matter of buying the part, and fitting in, it required the purchase of the entire throttle housing, costing £853 from Vw.

The car behaved perfectly, and this sensor on the throttle body did not in any way effect the way the car performed.

Even his kindly MOT garage, used to cancel the light every year, so that it would pass its MOT.

OBD portable scanners are worth their weight in gold, for the peace of mind, that you know a garage is not telling you porkies, when they say this particular light on your dash is going to cost you mega bucks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
As for the scanner not working on a VW, they work on every single car on the market, with a OBD port.
Sorry, that is simply not true. I have three scanners that do not work on my Vauxhall Mokka. I finally bought an OPCom scanner, specifically for use with Opel/Vauxhall, and even it has limited functionality on my Mokka, probably because it is not entirely up to date, but did manage to clear the fault code after I replaced the glow plugs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your best bet for VW is VCDS - main site is in the States (https://www.ross-tech.com/), so currently shut for the Thanksgiving holiday, but I've just found they have a UK distributor (https://www.gendan.co.uk/category_145.html) which avoids the massive shipping/tax bill when ordering from the US. It is VIN-number limited, but unless you have/want to read more than 3 VW-Audi group cars, the 3 VIN 'home' package should do you: https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html. My dad plugged his into my Up! in September and had no trouble getting pages of info back - including the fault code for my constantly tripping TPMS sensor, which a quick Google finally remedied! It is expensive compared to the generic ones available from your favourite car shop, but it works - it's essentially the same software as they have in VW garages, just smaller.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I took the car to my (Independent) mechanic. His scanner said a fault with one of the ABS wheel sensors. However, the error code persisted after fitting a new sensor. So i'm taking it to an auto electrician tomorrow morning. Will post an update here once I have it. I suspect a computer is fried somewhere though. (Off to look for information on these now...)

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are able to get the fault code from one of your friendly mechanics, try Googling it - you may well come up with a TSB number (technical service bulletin) to pass on to your VW mechanic. When my TPMS sensor (which is linked to the ABS system) kept tripping we discovered that there was a software update for the ECU to fix it, which has been known about since at least 2017 (and I bought my car this past March). So when it goes in for a service next week, I've requested that said update is applied!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts