Up Owners Club banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Auto electrician said the problem was corrosion in part of the wiring harness. I hope he's right. Corroded part will be replaced tomorrow all being well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds promising - fingers crossed!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update: the corroded part of the harness was replaced by the auto electrician. £25 parts; £40 diagnostics; £90 labour + VAT. Light is out and car seems fine now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good to hear; thanks for letting us know. Enjoy having your car back!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings everyone!

Got a similar problem with my 2013 up! (still less than 80.000km)... and the opinion of a scanner-owning mechanic. Would love to hear you thoughts on this thingie, though. Here we go:

• On the highway, after driving 30km, both the ABS & traction control lights came on, and stayed on. There was a warning bing.
  • I pulled over at a rest stop. Turned on & off the ignition a few times. Both ABS & traction control lights came on immediately when turning to ignition, both lights stayed on. Also the start-stop automatic was malfuctioning, as shown on the dash.
  • I saw a professional mechanic. His scanner reported "a problem with the left rear ABS sensor".
  • The mechanic did some other checks and noticed a voltage drop: "There's 12V going out, but only 4V arriving".
  • The mechanic suggested to change the cables for the rear sensor thingie. However, he didn't have time right then.
- The next day I drove shopping. None of the problems above occured, the car worked perfectly normal.

• This morning I went for a 80km test drive, most of it highway.
  • After around 50km the ABS & traction contol lights came on for 2 seconds or so, there was a warning bing.
  • At the end of that test drive I stopped at a traffic light, apparently now the start-stopp automatic malfunctioned, as indicated on the dash. I quickly turned on / off the ignition, everything worked perfectly normal again.
What's yout thoughts & opinions on this matter? Any recommendations?

THANKS for you help!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@timdotee It might be the same problem I had — corrosion in the part of the wiring harness that feeds the left rear ABS sensor. My mechanic plugged his diagnostics into my car and got an error saying the sensor was bad. But after he replaced the sensor, the error was still there. I had to go to an auto electrician to get the harness replaced. It's a 2-hour job.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Greetings everyone!

Got a similar problem with my 2013 up! (still less than 80.000km)... and the opinion of a scanner-owning mechanic. Would love to hear you thoughts on this thingie, though. Here we go:

• On the highway, after driving 30km, both the ABS & traction control lights came on, and stayed on. There was a warning bing.
  • I pulled over at a rest stop. Turned on & off the ignition a few times. Both ABS & traction control lights came on immediately when turning to ignition, both lights stayed on. Also the start-stop automatic was malfuctioning, as shown on the dash.
  • I saw a professional mechanic. His scanner reported "a problem with the left rear ABS sensor".
  • The mechanic did some other checks and noticed a voltage drop: "There's 12V going out, but only 4V arriving".
  • The mechanic suggested to change the cables for the rear sensor thingie. However, he didn't have time right then.
- The next day I drove shopping. None of the problems above occured, the car worked perfectly normal.

• This morning I went for a 80km test drive, most of it highway.
  • After around 50km the ABS & traction contol lights came on for 2 seconds or so, there was a warning bing.
  • At the end of that test drive I stopped at a traffic light, apparently now the start-stopp automatic malfunctioned, as indicated on the dash. I quickly turned on / off the ignition, everything worked perfectly normal again.
What's yout thoughts & opinions on this matter? Any recommendations?

THANKS for you help!
You'd be better starting a new post.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts