Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
'Modern' cars flash their hazard lights when you brake hard enough to trigger the ABS.........

I assume its the ABS and not a G-Meter that triggers it

It would be neat if ours did it, but I suspect the basic design is too old, does anybody know ??

馃槑馃槏

Registered
Hi Mike,
Not anything I've needed to ponder before! Based on some reading around, I suspect it's triggered by the ABS in the onboard computer - and it certainly appears to be something you can control via VCDS on 'bigger' VAG cars:
Whether the relevant settings are available, never mind open to alteration, on an Up!, I won't know until I plug my car into my computer; I've already had 'fun' trying to find fundamental settings that have been consistently named across other family VWs but are called something else entirely on mine! (Not to mention I have a Mk1 with ABS but not City Breaking, so may not be the same as yours anyway...).

Reactions: North London Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Plancast
Thanks for the note, interesting comments, and like you, I'm curious. I suppose I could just jam on the brakes, but why try for a wreak if somebody knows?
No city braking so I'm pretty sure my car is rigged the same as your, stability control and ABS. Certainly don't want to turn it off, If i'm hard on the brakes I probably need all the help I can get and certainly don't want to be rear ended in the process 馃う鈥嶁檪锔 馃槑
So, hopefully you can check it out on your VCDS or somebody will be along in a minute to let us know !

Registered
Right, short answer is - I don't think we have the means to turn it on. For those with VCDS who would like to find the relevant list on their car, it's 'Select Control Module' on the main screen, then 'Installed' tab, '09-Cent. Elect.', 'Basic Functions', and finally 'Adv. Meas. Values', where you get a list of all the settings available on your car's computer, and tick boxes to measure their current value (or installed status, as applicable):

According to the sources in the links I gave before, the relevant settings are under byte 16, bits 1 and 2 - which would appear on the list as 016-1 and 016-2 on the right hand side, if they were available. You'll notice there is no byte 16 setting of any description, and, of those that are present, nothing suggests it might do the same function (as a side note, it looks like my computer is enabled for cruise control, even though it's not installed).
All I can say, then, is that in the three times I've needed to do an emergency stop, the ABS indicator has never come on, and the car came to an appropriate halt with no damage to occupants, car or external parties (thankfully) - so hopefully whatever the car is signalling to cars behind is working!

Registered
My up does put on the hazards when you brake hard

Registered
My up does put on the hazards when you brake hard
Good to know, @thb202; thanks. I see you have a Mk1 like me, but the TSI version in High Up! spec - I wonder if there's something different about the computers in those compared to the MPI versions (and/or lower spec models)?
Either that or the setting is hiding somewhere peculiarly unique to the Up!s (again)...

Reactions: thb202

Registered
Mine is a mk2 actually but on a 66 plate.. There鈥檚 such little menus on pre or post facelift to really tell if the computers have changed! I wonder if the brake lights flash too, I鈥檝e seen golfs doing that too under heavy braking

Registered
Curious. I've just had a look at ETKA to see if it can shed any light on the matter. For the Mk1s it lists two different computers, changing in May 2015 - making mine (March 2015) pre-change. Mk2s have 4 different options - pre-May 2017, May17-Aug19, Aug-Nov19, and Nov19 onwards (so @North London Mike is 3 models later than mine). And that's without any possible coding differences related to spec level. Anyone with a late Mk1 want to let us know what does/doesn't flash on theirs? And anyone with VCDS and a car that does flash want to see whether they can find the setting?...

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Well, this just got interesting..........mine is a late (2018) TSI, so maybe mine would trigger, question being if they need to be programmed or not
So, has anybody with a late TSI/ GTI that has had to 'stand on' the brakes, triggering the ABS (and therefore the hazards) ? Trouble is, if you did, you probably had other things on your mind, you certainly wouldn't have noticed if your brake lights pulsed as well 馃榿 Tricky !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts