Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've added POIs.

I simply copied the relevant files into a folder called MyPOIs in the NAVIGON folder in the device's internal memory. I think I had to create the MyPOIs folder myself.

"The relevant files" are a CSV file with the POI details and a BMP file for the POI's logo.

There's a maximum of 999 personal POIs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Incidentally, the "POI-Assistant" option in Navigon Fresh is greyed out for me. That's why I had to adopt the direct approach.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine's called MyPOIs and, yes, it's a direct subdirectory of NAVIGON.

Page 75 of the M&M handbook explains what needs to go into the POI file - with a file extension of .CSV - and the size of the bitmap file.

I didn't create my own files by the way, I downloaded them from the internet. They've only got 4 fields per line - longditude and lattitude, name and description - but they work fine.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, managed now add them!Is there a way you could make them warn before some distance (yes you guessed right, speed cameras)?
In Garmins application it asks weather you would want it to warn and the distance, but as I said earlier, I couldn't make it to work.

-eelis-

·
Registered
70 Posts
christgill said:
Mine's called MyPOIs and, yes, it's a direct subdirectory of NAVIGON.

Page 75 of the M&M handbook explains what needs to go into the POI file - with a file extension of .CSV - and the size of the bitmap file.

I didn't create my own files by the way,  I downloaded them from the internet.  They've only got 4 fields per line - longditude and lattitude, name and description - but they work fine.
Afraid I'm still confused !

When connected to computer, the M&M has a device name of 'NAVIGON' with folders called 'NAVIGON' and 'Garmin' (and lots more of course). Both 'NAVIGON' and 'Garmin' have a subfolder called 'poi' and I've added subfolders to each 'poi' that I've called 'MyPOIs'.

My manual is obviously a different edition because the MyPOIs section starts at page 81 but the instructions sound broadly similar. There's also a vaguely similar set of instructions on the Garmin Website.

I've created one csv file of my own - a simple one liner for a nature reserve near Nottingham - and downloaded a full set of GBG entries from the Camra website. All relevant files have been added to both of the 'MyPOIs' folders.

There's a further step in the process that wasn't mentioned in christgill's post :-

10.2.3 POI-Import: Importing your own POIs onto the navigation
device
The files you have created with your own POIs and the related symbols
must still be transferred to the navigation device. This is very easy to do with the Fresh software which can be downloaded free of charge from our website www.garmin.com/pid.
I have done that step too. It doesn't remove any files from the 'MyPOIs' folders (so even if it's an unnecessary step it's doing no harm) but does add some .gpi files to the Garmin/POI folder.

After unplugging M&M from computer & switching it back on again, I follow the instructions for finding a new destination but still don't get offered any access to my new POIs.

Any suggsetions welcomed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi! Maybe one of you can help...I'm getting used to my maps & more navigation system and I've managed to do all but I can't get the 'voice' to work. I'm not referring to the voice command, but to the 'voice' of the sat nav that directs the driver where to go. Any ideas how to do this? I can't seem to find any settings on this!

·
Registered
16 Posts
@VWenthusiast
Hopefully it is the relatively simple setting as follows:

From the home screen (4 buttons) select "Navigation" icon
Select "Options" > "Show Map"
Along the bottom of the screen are 5 buttons, the 2nd to last should look like a Speaker with an x by the side.
press that icon and the sound control will open for the voice directions.

HTH

·
Registered
568 Posts
The volume for announcements might be set at zero. You can only adjust the volume of sat nav announcements while they are playing (using the vol control on the radio). You can force an announcement to play by pressing the next direction icon (bottom left of the M&M screen) when a route is in progress.

It's not very intuitive!!

There is a separate volume adjustment in the M&M options for when you use it out of the cradle (for controlling volume of the internal speaker)

Dave

Edited by: dash

·
Registered
78 Posts
EricM said:
Afraid I'm still confused !

When connected to computer, the M&M has a device name of 'NAVIGON' with folders called 'NAVIGON' and 'Garmin' (and lots more of course). Both 'NAVIGON' and 'Garmin' have a subfolder called 'poi' and I've added subfolders to each 'poi' that I've called 'MyPOIs'.

I've only just noticed your post...

I did say that the 'MyPOIs' folder should be "a direct subfolder" of Navigon, not a subfolder of a subfolder...

EricM said:
There's a further step in the process that wasn't mentioned in christgill's post :-

10.2.3 POI-Import: Importing your own POIs onto the navigation
device
The files you have created with your own POIs and the related symbols
must still be transferred to the navigation device. This is very easy to do with the Fresh software which can be downloaded free of charge from our website www.garmin.com/pid.
I also mentioned that the "Adding POIs" option was greyed out on Navigon Fresh, but that simply adding your own subfolder does the job just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts