Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy a second remote key for my Move Up! 5 door ASG - dealers tell me that it is not possible for a second remote to work ???
Any comments please.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It might possible that's the case some cars can only have a certain number of keys programmed to the car for both the central locking and the immobiliser , but as a car mechanic I have never heard of this being the the case for vw

·
Registered
532 Posts
The cars came with two remotes for a while. (Pre April 2012)

·
Registered
109 Posts
the up! must only have reservation for 2... we eventually got a second remote key as per the brochure so we now have two remote keys and one 'basic' key.a couple of weeks ago we used the 'basic' key and it worked fine for 15 seconds and then the car died, problem was it immobilised the car from all 3 keys... VW assist had to come out and remote linkup to VW and unlock the ECU again... safe to say I've hidden the basic key now!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey ashy87, when you got the second remote key programmed did you give the garage the basic key as well or did you just have the two remote keys , because you have to programme all the keys at the same time. If not it might be worth reprogramming all three keys from scratch.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There is/was already a thread about second remote keys on this site. It seems that they were giving out two remotes originally but then cut it to one plus a basic key. Some customers kicked up with their dealers about it because the brochures said the car came with two remotes. So some customers managed to talk their dealers in to getting a second one for free, whilst others paid for a second remote.

I don't believe the bit about a second remote not being able to work. "Somebody's 'avin-a-larf"... But a second one will cost you and they are not cheap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should be able to have the two remote keys and the basic key coded at the same time. If i had to guess ashy you had the basic key at home when you had the two remotes coded? Is that correct?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi

I was one of those that kicked up and got 2 remote keys and also allowed to keep the 3rd basic key. All were available to dealer on the day they coded, and all 3 are still working and all 3 have been used only last week.
But a remote key is not cheap to purchase. It looks worth £20 but they cost over £200 from the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats very interesting - I have just returned from the dealers and while very pleasant, they advised that the Up! is programmed for only 1 remote. If I were to order a second at £100 ?? and they tried to programme it, they would not gaurantee that it would work !! A letter head office called for !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After the letter to Head Office, pointing out that the Owners Manual states, " to obtain an additional remote, you will need to show chassis number etc. " - low and behold, we CAN have a second remote.
We were quoted £130 plus a setup cost of £50 - this has also been removed by VW and so we are off to the dealers again today for our second remote at no cost other than my fuel to the dealers. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Belated info but got a result after contacting Customer Service in UK. Now have 2 remotes and NO CHARGE !! Thanks to everyone for their advice.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have just called VW customer services and was told I would have to buy one. I kicked up a bit of a fuss and eventually the lady said that she would contact the dealer and see if VW could cover the cost.

Thanks for the tip and fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
Where does it say that you get two remote keys? because im waiting to collect my up, and i'd love 2

·
Registered
811 Posts
It certainly says on all the current information equipment that they only come with one, but I'm really just trying it on to be honest. In your situation I would contact the dealer and have a go.

·
Registered
811 Posts
You don't ask you don't get sunshine. It is a pain only having one remote as my wife and I both drive the car so I if I can get one for free I will.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Totally agree with Allybasher.

The worst that can happen is that the dealer says "NO!".

Edited by: Truth-seeker

1 - 20 of 29 Posts