·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This is my first post and thank you for taking
the time to read it!

I was wondering if any of you guys
could give me some advice on how to deal with VW with a issue on your car.

I bought a UP! 5DR Blue motion in
November 2013, then in January 2014 I sent the car in as the front passenger
brake would squeak whilst braking gently at low speeds. They concluded the cars
brake discs had warped and replaced them for me though accidently ordered 1
disc instead of 2 meaning I wasted a day off work, I wasn't told/offered a
collection and have never bought a new car before but I guess that was my
ignorance.

Then after 200 miles the sound has come
back and is slowly getting worse. VW have since taken the car in and said they
can find no problems. After a couple of months the sound grew louder and more
regular so I took the car down to the dealer and showed them the problem.
Great. Its been acknowledged, but took months and of course now the cars brakes
are out of warranty as far as I'm aware.

They were meant to pick the car up
Tuesday but went to the wrong address! They are now picking it up this Thursday
instead but whilst I was booking it in over the phone said I should bring the
car in to demonstrate the problem which I did a week ago.

In between all of this I have been
calling VW trying to get it sorted and found them next to useless, I now have a
case with VW rather than the garage but I have to keep calling to request notes
to be added to my case rather than the dealer doing it.

I have asked politely, I've got annoyed
and complained, and now out of desperation I'm trying to be completely thorough
to the point I'm telling them what to check because I don't believe they will investigate
it thoroughly. What I don't want is them to replace the discs, try charge me,
and in another 200 miles they have warped again. The cause needs sorting as
well as the symptoms.

I could try fix it myself but I've
bought a new VW because I don't have the time with work commitments and I was
led to believe their cars were of a certain quality. Other than that though I love
my car!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

NJ13

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Can't offer much advice I'm afraid. I can tell you that the warranty runs for three years so your car is still under warranty. Your dealer is required to fix the problem for you. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's defiantly good to hear! I spoke to head office and they started talking about potential good will gestures of fixing the brakes but would have to see what dealer says.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had this exact problem back in 2012. First,they skimmed the discs , then the fault re-occured and they replaced the discs and pads, and finally, when the same thing happened again, the technician discovered that the hub was misaligned, (he had to send to VW for the equipment to check this) The hub was replaced and the brakes have been fine ever since. It was an annoying fault because when it first occurred it was intermittent and led to disbelieving expressions at the dealers, but then it would turn into a judder that no one could miss. Whenever I was without the car I was given a brand new courtesy car and all of the work was done under warranty with no hassle. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Same here, I had 2 front discs replaced (VW paid 75% of the cost as I'd done over 30,000 miles .....warped but the hub was ok....since then , 13k miles no probs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

They returned the car saying they stripped down the wheels and found nothing and its now fine but I'm certain it will come back just as it has before.

Vw are going to call me Monday at which point I will ask about the hubs being checked.

Its so frustrating but hopefully its either fixed by accident or they will go into more depth.

Thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a 300 mile trip the squeeking is back, time for another phone call! Sad because I'm finding the GT rather attractive but not sure I would trust it

·
Registered
525 Posts
It might just be worth waiting until it gets worse. I was quite relieved when mine started to judder because it was completely obvious there was a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VW called me today to talk about it and so Im going to visit another dealer on thrusday and go out with the "master tech", try and demonstrate the problem, and then they will take a look. The person i spoke to sounded very understanding and thorough so fingers crossed.

I was going to wait but Ive waited a couple months before! I hope this new dealer are more on it! I will be mentioning the hub! thank you :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it turns out the hub is out and its causing the discs to warp! All going to be fixed under warranty. Amazing how one dealer can say their is nothing wrong and another can say there a problem with both discs and hub!

Finally being sorted. thank you everyone for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My brakes have begun warping.
This has only occurred after a gearbox was renewed. I assume the hubs and discs came off for the gearbox renewal?
15,000 kilometres only. Volkswagen says this is "normal wear and tear" and refuse to renew my rotors.
If I renew them myself - how do I know they won't just warp again? It will be a waste of money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts