Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping my mum order a new Citroen DS3 to replace her current one. Before we go and have a look at one and get a valuation on her current car. Is it worth getting the scuff marks etc. fixed that she has on the alloys? Or is it not worth the cost vs the difference it will make to the trade in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How old is the p/ex car and what is it? If it's a high end sports car it would be worth it but if it's not then £50 per wheel might outweigh the extra value.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've just re-read your post, and I have realised she is p/exing a DS3 as well.
It may be/maybe not.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a nearly 3 year old Citroen DS3 and we are going to get another ds3 in its place.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I recently part-ex'd an up for another up and the dealer didn't even look at the part ex'd car. All calculations were based on the book price.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We traded in two Ford KAs for our Up. One had 54,000 on the clock the other 19,000. He looked at my high mileage car, and said 'if the high mileage is in as good condition as this, we can offer you....''This is the high mileage car' said I. 'Oh then we can offer you...' It was a couple of hundred more but basically they went by book price and quoted within £50 of what Ford quoted for the two cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I have traded many cars over the years and dealers love their little book of profit, main thing is never accept the first offer and if they are adamant and will not shift then you must insist on some extras on the new car, you have got to haggle.check the web for the average price of the car you are trading, look at the difference in private / dealer prices. your dealer will want to make a few quid on the trade then also a few quid on the future sale of the traded car, thats his business, but I would also suggest you enquire in other dealers ( same or different brand) locally and see what they are willing to offer as a trade against a similar priced car to the one you are going to buy. That way if they are offering a better price you have that as a bargaining tool. the dealer doesn't need to know that you are only interested in a citreon. if toyota offering more then tell him that, ( yeah we like the citreon but the toyota fella offering us 500 more for our trade etc) always get something even if its free servicing or similar.
You don't ask you won't get.

·
Registered
540 Posts
yazz said:
Well I have traded many cars over the years and dealers love their little book of profit, main thing is never accept the first offer and if they are adamant and will not shift then you must insist on some extras on the new car, you have got to haggle.check the web for the average price of the car you are trading, look at the difference in private / dealer prices. your dealer will want to make a few quid on the trade then also a few quid on the future sale of the traded car, thats his business, but I would also suggest you enquire in other dealers ( same or different brand) locally and see what they are willing to offer as a trade against a similar priced car to the one you are going to buy. That way if they are offering a better price you have that as a bargaining tool. the dealer doesn't need to know that you are only interested in a citreon. if toyota offering more then tell him that, ( yeah we like the citreon but the toyota fella offering us 500 more for our trade etc) always get something even if its free servicing or similar.
You don't ask you won't get.
100% this.

I went to two different dealers to part ex my alfa for my up. One offered £750 more than the other and threw in a lot of extras.

I haggled for the extras, too.

The dealers will do their upmost to rip you off to get their margin up. Don't be afraid to play the game.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is only ONE thing that matters, and that is the price to change. If they flatter with a high p/ex valuation, chances are there is little or no discount off rrp. The comparison I would make is the price to change. When I bought my civic, I knew what I wanted to pay, so I didn't care about the valuation on my old Merc. I didn't ask for any p/ex figure from Honda-but I do know that I had a stunning deal. They could put what they liked on the paperwork.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am too stupid for negotations strategies and I simply hate all this ...

I am intelligent (very high IQ) , but not clever at all ...

With my new up!, a colleague of mine wanted to buy the Lupo. He often buys the old cars of our company and sells them afterwards (which is a benefit for the company too because the warranty laws in Germany) ...
He wanted to know what the dealer gives for my Lupo and said, he would pay me more (but didn't say a price at all).

When dealing the price for the up! I told the VW dealer the truth and asked what VW would pay me. A 10 y.o. Lupo with 23.000 km (14500 miles) bur never washed (even not before going to the dealer - a mistake, I know!). Two VW sails men watched the car and told me a price.
It was so high, that my colleague didn't want to have the car for this price!

So, the VW dealer gets the car now in exchange ...

An advice on trading in a car
surely is to give it to a "car treater" / "car cleaner" / "car recycler" (LEO dictionary has no word for "Auto-Aufbereiter" ...
They clean the car inside, make seats and plastic parts look like new, remove small dings, dents and scratches. This may cost about 100 EUR or GBP, but you normally get much more for the car afterwards.

I always make the joke that I should have got this service for free - allowing the "Aufbereiter" to make a promotion video/images before/after ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Leif said:
It's none of my business, but I'm wondering why you trade in a 3 year old car for a new one. That sounds expensive. Have you checked broker prices?
Because som people like to trade in when their car starts needing an MOT or is no longer in warranty. My Yaris was almost 3 years old when I trading it in for a new up. Also lots of people spend just as much on lease deals every 3 years an never actually own the car they drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cadfael said:
An advice on trading in a car
surely is to give it to a "car treater" / "car cleaner" / "car recycler" (LEO dictionary has no word for "Auto-Aufbereiter" ...

We would call them a Car Detailer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Back in 1979 my dealer actually gave me more for my Derby 1.1 than I actually paid a year earlier when I exchanged it for a Derby 1.3 LX (Limited edition). While I was waiting for my car to be serviced once the top man threw me the keys to a Golf GTI and told me to try it out (on my own) Great dealership but sadly they sold out and are now a Seat dealer and he retired otherwise I might have been driving a Mii now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts