Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently had a test drive of a VW Up and thought it was a great little car so I am considering buying a new one. The problem is that, at 30 mph and less, a noise came from the engine compartment, similar to a leaking inlet manifold (a sort of sucking sound). It disappeared at high speeds.

My problem is, is this usual? The salesman said he thought it was.

I am concerned that it may become annoying with time though, it might equally become part of the character of what appears to be a characterful car.

Thanks for the help.

Fortyman

·
Registered
619 Posts
You've probably read on other forum threads about the various noises made by the Up and members concerns about them. The car has been designed, I believe, to minimise the need for sound proofing but this has not been entirely successful (my opinion). The good news is that the engine/exhaust noise fades after the car has covered a few miles, as does the gearbox rattle that some have mentioned.

I can't say that I have noticed any sort of induction noise to speak of, although the engine sound WAS different to the four cylinder cars I've owned in the past. All I can say is, after 2700 miles, my car is very quiet and refined to drive. Perhaps your dealership would agree to an extended test drive - if they want your custom they should be able to arrange this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome, MikeGee,
The sound may be the normal offbeat thrum that all three-cylinder engines make when accelerating. A bit like a four-cylinder (normal) car with a misfiring cylinder. I quite like it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the exact same thing when i test drove an up, the salesman didnt know why it was
Making the noise. But during the drive i noticed it was when i was sticking to the shift light and the engine was really struggling (i thought the shift light was useless). Whereas when i drove it properly the noise disappeared. So i say its down the the engine labouring.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My aircon makes noise if the fan is set on one. If you switch it on to two, the sound goes away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for such a prompt and helpful response. I think Wrighty may be right (pun unintended). It only happened at low speed and I have developed a frugal right foot. I currently run a Jazz 1.4 petrol and recently attained 56mpg over a 400 mile round trip covering motorways and once an astounding 62mpg on a 50 mile one way trip into Wales (must have been down hill and a following wind). The overall average is usually mid 50s and have had the car for 5 years. It is when you come to change you realise what you have become used to, which is one reason for looking at the UP. It has character which the Jazz, IMHO, does not. The problem seems to be trying to get hold of an UP. Local dealers say they would be selling their salesroom models, even into September. Think I'll try widening ,my search.

Thanks again

·
Registered
73 Posts
move up! said:
Welcome, MikeGee,
The sound may be the normal offbeat thrum that all three-cylinder engines make when accelerating. A bit like a four-cylinder (normal) car with a misfiring cylinder. I quite like it.

I think the thrum sounds more like half a V6 than a four cylinder misfiring

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well we found a white UP locally, long story but securing deposit paid and off to finalise the details tomorrow. It's in the showroom so no/little delay as it is about to be replaced bay another. Looking forward to getting the car and contributing more to the forum.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Welcome! which model are you getting?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE
Have had the new UP for a few days now and the sound I experienced in the test drive car seems absent in the one I have, though it only has 29 miles on it so far. Very pleased and great fun to drive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Back OT.

My wife noticed this noise today on our new up! I had a test drive and noticed it too.

It is a kind of waffling sucking noise when the engine is under load at low rev's - particularly noticeable in 5th but I also managed to get the same noise in 3rd and 4th with some effort.

I just think it is a normal engine labouring noise. The change up to 5th indicator is coming on at <30mph which to me is absurd and best ignored.

I tend to drive hard through the gears and I really think this little engine is built to perform properly when driven like this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts