Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just been to my dealer to get the auto locking done on my car and was told that my car is one the Up!'s that are affected by the airbag recall.
They said it would take over 2 hours to complete!
Judging by the fact that it's the airbag control unit that's at fault I presume that they will have to remove the dash, or part of it to either replace it or "flash" write it to fix the issue.

Just wondered if any of you have already had this done yet, and if so do you know what it entails? My dealer was a bit sketchy about the details and what would be done.

Here is a link for more information regarding the recall.

<a href="http://www.recalluk.com/recalls/cars/vw-up-side-airbag-recall-2013.aspx" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.recalluk.com/recalls/cars/vw-up-side-airbag-recall-2013.aspx
</a>

I hope this helps.

Matt
Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its "only" a software error, not a physical...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all. It depends on where the control unit is. On Toyota's, it's behind the dash, but can be upgraded via the OBD II connector. I still can't fathom out why it's gonna take 2 hours though!

Matt

·
Registered
705 Posts
Tea break?

Nick

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Collas said:
Tea break?

Nick
Hi Nick. LOL
. More like lunch with that time!

Matt

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am checking this out with my dealer now. My car is within the number series.

I have not heard anything about this before.
Shouldn´t VW have contacted me about this?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi swede. Yes the dealer should contact you to arrange for your car to go in to the dealer to have it fixed. It was issued this month at some point, so it shouldn't be too long before you hear something. Failing that, give them a ring and see what they say.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
It's an issue with corrupted software for the side airbags.

I happened to find out when I sent my up! back because it ate a CD. It's only a software update, which is installed via the code reader socket. No disassembly of the vehicle is required, however I'm guessing that part of the 2-hour fix is because they have to disconnect the battery and allow the ECU time to reset after the software upgrade.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi shakotan. The ecu should only take about 10 minutes to reset. That's about the most it takes at Toyota. I'll try and do some digging on the subject tomorrow.

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts