Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My UP! is nearly 2 years old now and my VW dealer has written to me advising that my car is due an air con service. Has anyone else had this advice? It's not part of the service plan and will cost £70, what does it consist of? Should I have it done?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Just had my second year service carried out. No mention of anything needing doing to the air conditioning. Re gasing of the air con system is carried out when the air con is not working properly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dealers will charge a fortune for this; my four and a half year old scirocco has had no aircon servicing and is still working very well. I had a Ford Ka regassed at 11 years old - it was not very cold at all by that stage, but has been fine since. I used ATS, with a winter deal of £28 as I remember - really good value as they drain the full system and re-gas it, with lubricants, etc. Maybe best to wait beyond the warranty period, though? Use the aircon every few weeks, even in winter, to keep seals lubricated, and I would suggest a re-gas when you notice a drop off in performance (maybe best done in winter, by my experience!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like a money making thing to me! My Hondas also over 5 years old. Its never had an air con service and still works as good as the day I bought the car!
If my memory serves me right you should put the aircon on full for 20mins every month to keep the gases tcirculating properly. Thats what I do.
Has anyone heard of that before?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That's the minimum recommendation. I personally never turn the air conditioning off and never had any problems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Beevee said:
That's the minimum recommendation. I personally never turn the air conditioning off and never had any problems.
Same here.

Both cars have climate/ ac permanently on and no issues.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking to leave it for a while but will just need to check if neglecting this work affects the warranty. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have spoke to VW and it won't affect the general warranty per se, but, it may impact if the warranty claim is for part of the air con system and it hasn't been serviced. It's worth noting also that VAG air con compressors are notorious for failing prematurely. I could get it done slightly cheaper but car is already booked in for it's second service so will have it done at VW for the sake taking it elsewhere to save £20.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Make sure you use the air con during the winter otherwise the service is a waste of time. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
182 Posts
How can neglecting this work affect the warranty...it's not part of the required servicing regime...not on my Citigo, anyway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe it might affect any warranty claim regarding a/c components - though, for example, a potential compressor failure would not show up on this service anyway.

My guess is that the service may simply consist of a pollen filter change (if not part of the regular 2 year service), a visual check of ancillary drive belt condition and possibly a check on chilled temperature?

If they really want to earn their money, they should vacuum and recharge the system, although I bet this would be at extra cost.

All the above is simply my speculation - if anyone knows otherwise, please, don't be shy!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
snes said:
Maybe it might affect any warranty claim regarding a/c components - though, for example, a potential compressor failure would not  show up on this service anyway.

My guess is that the service may simply consist of a pollen filter change (if not part of the regular 2 year service), a visual check of ancillary drive belt condition and possibly a check on chilled temperature?

If they really want to earn their money, they should vacuum and recharge the system, although I bet this would be at extra cost.

All the above is simply my speculation - if anyone knows otherwise, please, don't be shy!
No need to guess:

Air conditioning service

"We drain and recharge the system; check hoses, filters, belts and connections; and make sure the compressor and condenser are working correctly"

Air conditioning refresh

"Our expert technicians give your air conditioning system an ultrasonic anti-bacterial and odour treatment that eliminates microbial, fungal and bacterial contamination"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey buddy, why do you need this if everything still works, you don't have to worry about that yet. I haven't had a problem with air conditioning for about 5 years but when did the problems with air conditioner start my friend from aircon service helped me a lot. I mean that all you have to do is to find someone who knows about air conditioning and can fix it, and you won't need to contact any service, it is much more profitable from an economic point of view.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't often use it but I read somewhere that the gas in side them leaks up to 10% per year even with good seals.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I ignored the dealer's advice to get this done at two years old but had the service done at three years in case anything needed fixing while the car was still in warranty. It didn't...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The system will leak a lot less that 10% if you use it all the time. My AC in all cars I have ever had has always been on all the time. It makes for a less drowsy cabin and keeps things dry in the car.

As long as the re-gas is done properly, there's no harm in it and it's not really that expensive.

·
Banned
645 Posts
Ive never use my A/C, and have never experienced any leaks or problems, with not using it.
There was a facility back in 2015, when ordering a factory Polo Bluemotion, to not include A/C in the car, so i ticked it.

On those rare occasions when the weather is hot, i simply open the window slightly, to allow some air circulation.
A/C is just a nuisance, and destroys your fuel economy when its activated, so i never bother using it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts