Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone think the air con in the up isn't very effective? Doesn't seem to get very cold and struggled when we had the (few) sunny days.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Mine seems ok in the hot, as long as the fan is on 2.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mine is fine too. As Alex says I turn up the fan. I've also found that the car stays reasonably cool just with the windows open.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've only had mine on 1 and it was cold enough on one of our very rare hot days.

I worry about the fuel economy to have it on higher

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I'd get it checked out or turn the fan up to two, if that doesnt work get it checked.

·
Registered
421 Posts
No to be honest I think it's ok. I did find out today though the little grill behind the maps an more only blows when you have it anywhere other than the windscreen setting which is strange as it probably would help defrost the windscreen in winter

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine was also fine on setting 2

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Open the bonnet when you have gone for a drive and the engine is at running temperature and set the A/C temp to max cold and fans to full...

Between the engine and the battery (i think from memory) are the refrigerant pipes.

The wider one (low pressure side) should be cold to the point of being uncomfortable to touch (may even have a thin layer of frost on it on a humid day)...

If it isn't pretty cold to the touch, then it should be checked out to be sure it is ok...

The compresor only runs when it is above about 5 degrees C, so if it's colder than that, then don't expect the pipe to be as cold as I describe!

Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
587 Posts
The up! I test drove had it and did a really good job I thought on a hot day quickly cooled the car down. If it had been an option on the Take up! I would of had it, but realistically I can count on my fingers and maybe a couple of toes the number of times I haveactuallyused A/C in the past year. Best use has to be demisting on a damp day.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Whilst it hasn't been hot today, I've been out for a spin. I had to switch the air con on a few times to keep the temperature inside the car from getting uncomfortable, but I didn't need it on for long. I'd left the vent settings for windscreen and feet, and it had the effect of a cool blast for my legs and feet and a gentle breeze on my face. It works well, and is able to cope with my demands so far. It's much more effective than that on the StreetKa, particularly when having to travel with the black canvas roof up, as I'd had to do from Scotland on one occasion. It just couldn't cope with the heat soak through the roof - stifling.

Nick

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've usually have my air con all the time! I like being nice and cool :D

I have noticed though an awful squeaky sound coming from the front when the air con is on! I only notice it when my music isnt on .... which again is on all the time

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Craig200588 said:
I've usually have my air con all the time! I like being nice and cool :D 

I have noticed though an awful squeaky sound coming from the front when the air con is on! I only notice it when my music isnt on .... which again is on all the time 
I've noticed the same with mine.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have my AC on all the time too... What do you mean squeak? If it's more of a hiss, then that will be the expansion valve on the AC

S

·
Registered
303 Posts
bugbabe34 said:
I've only had mine on 1 and it was cold enough on one of our very rare hot days.

I worry about the fuel economy to have it on higher
eh? doesnt having the air-con on at all mean the compressor is working and creating an extra load for the engine, regardless if of the cabin air fan speed is set to 1 or 2?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
mine is more of a grumbly sort of noise, not very loud at all, but can be detected when it does it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've heard the noise too on my car -> soundproofing! Need I say more?

The air con does load the engine to a certain extent and there are tales of higher fuel consumption as a result. I can't say I have ever noticed any significant increase myself on any car I've owned. You do notice a higher idle speed though, with the air con running, when the car is stationary.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've never actually used the A/C on mine, mainly because of the horror stories about how much more fuel it uses.

Realistically speaking, does anyone know just how much of a difference it makes to fuel consumption?

·
Registered
705 Posts
It depends on how you use it. I switch it on for a few minutes at a time to cool the interior down on a hot day, or to demist the windows. I did have to switch it on quite often yesterday evening on my way back from work as it was humid and the screen steamed up quickly.

I used to leave the Climate Control permanently switched on when I had the Octavia and that didn't seem to affect the consumption too much. But it was a bigger engine.

Air-con does need to be exercised regularly to ensure a long life, so switching it on for a brief period every week makes sure that the system works and that you put off the inevitable build up of bugs (and smells).

Use it or you lose it.

Nick

1 - 20 of 32 Posts