Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local VW dealer just rang me to say that my car was coming up to 2 years old and they recommended a regas. The air con doesn't smell and works perfectly so is there any reason to bother to do this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depends on how much they're asking for it although I'd say probably not. The AC on my previous car lasted well over a decade without getting done and was still cooling quite happily.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
only needs a re-gas if not cooling, a leak, or work been done on the system.......sharp practice methinks

Mine is nearly 2 yrs old, done over 46,000 miles and (as yesterday proved) can still produce an icy blast when needed

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same here, PD, well not the miles, but the icy blast for sure. I've done 21,000 now. The chap who called seemed utterly unsurprised when I said no thanks, but I mention it just to save fellow up owners wasting cash if they get called - this dealer says £79 for regas which sounds pricey to me, but of course if they have customers with cars still in warranty they have a bit of a selling edge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the costly side, as even if they were buying the bits off ebay it'd still be over £40 profit for less than ten minutes' work.

Edited by: Elst

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
I wouldn't trust a kiddie's keter car with Halfrauds tho, and that goes for Kwik -Sh*t too...

Yet again, I am having to defend the VW network, as an employee of a VW/Audi main dealer, everyone's perception is that dealers do their best to rip people off, sure there are a few bad dealers out there, but VW set the schedules for services/brake fluid change/ac re-gas, so its not the dealer's fault, they are simply doing what the manufacturer of the vehicle recommends. The ac is re-gassed to help the system function correctly, it puts extra strain on components when the incorrect weight of gas is in the system, this leads to bigger bills. This time of year, we always have a lot of ac faults, as people simply don't understand that you are meant to use ac all year round, so after the winter, they switch it on for the first time in months, and wonder why its not working/not cold enough/smells ect...I was told that ac should be used for at least 30 mins a month to help the system to function properly, or the seals from perishing and the pump seizing. Even in winter time it has its advantages, such as clearing the screen quicker as it removes the moisture from the air.

That's my 2p for now!
Edited by: lupogtiboy

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That seems fair enough, lupo. Because the AC is kind of a comfort item I guess it's up to the customer what they do with it - ie it's not in the service schedule. I run my AC all the time, seems to keep it working well and the MPG isn't noticeably affected.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I agree with lupogtiboy (not only because I'm a former Lupo driver
) ...

My boss said he turns his AC on once a week on the way to work (about 30 minutes). I mostly drive short distances, so I turn it on more often (or all the time). Maybe a bit more fuel - but no problem with my milage ...

If you don't use your AC correctly, it is "more neccessary" to re-gas the system.
All AC systems can have micro-bacteria problems; especially if it is NOT in use. To re-gas the system also means to make it saver / more heathy. But it depends on the use and surounding of the car.

VW can not know how its customers deal with the AC (many only use it in summer). VW has to add up all possible mistakes and find a time where it is "neccessary" to re-gas the system. For some drivers it is much too early but for others it is already too late ...

Okay; the up! isn't sold in the USA where they have "some special / strange customer laws" ...
But what happens if VW drivers get ill and have to go to hospital because of micro-bacteria in their lung by the AC system? Can you imagine what this would mean for VW's reputation?

It's like changing oil, brake fluid or tyres ...
It depends on your way of "using the system".

I can only stress what lupogtiboy said:
Use your AC system at least 30 minutes EVERY month.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I fully endorse previous comments. Personally I never turn my air conditioning off. Air conditioning does what it says, it conditions the air. It has nothing to do with the air temperature although conditioned air is often colder.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I only have my up! for 3 weeks now ...

Others have problems with moisture in their car - Beevee has never had problems.
So, I "follow" Beevee - and I logically understand why his way seems to be right.

Next time moisture problems occur in the forum I will ask if AC is on or off most of the time ...

Don't try to elimate moisture when you start your drive.
Eliminate the moisture on your drive "the day before". Then, there is no moisture in the morning ...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
+1........A/c never off and sorry to be pedantic but it DOES drop the temperature of the air...the whole point is that by dropping the temp , water condenses and is drained from the ac condenser...just look at the puddles under cars in Florida etc where humidity is high.....

NOW, the temp drop of the a/c air is directly proportional to the time in contact with the cooling elements of the system, hence A/c on minimum temp, fan on slowest will always give max cooling, having the fan on max means the temp drop is less.

Of course, by putting the system into recirculate, you are taking in cooled air and cooling it more, Theoretically it should just get colder and colder but it doesn't because the air is getting less and less moisture content.

Remember, I'm good with anatomy and physiology etc but not physics...if the above is wrong, I apologize...just quoting one of my clever sons!

Bottom line......Always on A/C = functioning correctly and no smells etc. ok, rant over, flame suit on!

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
I thought the whole point of ac was to lower the temperature, hence why most people only use it when its hot. That explains why they use R134 refridgerant as in fridges and freezers, which are designed to stay cold. Ac on a car is the same principle.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Correct Lupo....I was making the point to the post about it 'conditioning' (whatever that is) rather than cooling

Just the Pedant in me!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It's ok Privatedoc. It's probably me who needs the flame proof suit. I have always thought that air conditioning was a process that conditions the air by removing moisture and freshening the air. Because of this I have my air conditioning on 365 days a year. I assumed you can have conditioned warm air as well as conditioned cold air.

·
Registered
957 Posts
One thing we all do agree on is
" Try to use it all year "Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Every "modern" airplanehas an AC ...
It is right that the AC cools down the air and works with a condenser ...

BUT the AC in a car or an airplane is much more than a fridge.
Otherwise in 30.000 feet, it would be colder than -50°C inside the airplane (or -10°C in a car) ...

Don't forget that the Air Condition is one thing (getting rid of moisture), the heating is the other thing.
In summer the heating is turned of and you have the pure AC unit, in autumn, winter and spring both units work (and have their duty within the system) ...

·
Registered
333 Posts
On reading your comments on the air conditioning.
VW are saving you money at the end of the day because while the car is in warranty, if there are other issues with the air con.You pay for the re gas and not the parts.
The gas they use now is a different gas they used on earlier models.
Use it don't abuse it.
Every little helps.
Regards Phill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts