Up Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have just booked my 2017 Move Up in for its second annual service and was advised that VW recommend that the air conditioning system is serviced every two years at an additional cost of around £100. Just wondered if anybody had any comments on the necessity for this to be carried out on a two yearly basis.
Regards
Brian

·
Registered
102 Posts
Firstly at least Dick Turpin wore a mask. But if you don't have it done and it goes paboooooom, which it probably won't, then the fix will be on you, either that or you'll have no friends through the summer.
Upt'North.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Is it part of any service in the three year warranty period ?
If not, then if it does go bang in the warranty period, it's down to them.
Our previous two Ups were sold at three years old, and they were both serviced at Vw dealers. No-one ever recommended that we had the aircon serviced during the three years.
Never heard of it before.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it part of any service in the three year warranty period ?
If not, then if it does go bang in the warranty period, it's down to them.
Our previous two Ups were sold at three years old, and they were both serviced at Vw dealers. No-one ever recommended that we had the aircon serviced during the three years.
Never heard of it before.

Hi,
Following your reply, I checked the servicing schedule for the car and could find no specific reference to the requirement for servicing the A/C system within the three year warranty period. I did however also visit the VW web site and established that they do indeed recommend the A/C system is serviced on a two yearly basis, so at least it's not a dealership pushing something not specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

Regards
Brian

·
Registered
102 Posts
Brian, this is the same for just about every vehicle service schedule, is it a license for dealers to print money, of course it is. But the gamble will be down to you, don't expect the dealer or VW to save you. Why would any dealer back you up when you have refused their and VW's advice. As far as I am aware the brake fluid is also due every 2 years, but I might be wrong. I would check out Seat and Skoda prices too for service and extras.
FWIW.
Upt'North.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Our dealer wants £140 to service our ac he says the price rise is down to a new gas or fluid they now have to use due to eu rules! needless to say our first up was not serviced in 5 yrs. with no problems & I will take my chances with this one.

Reactions: Charles

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our dealer wants £140 to service our ac he says the price rise is down to a new gas or fluid they now have to use due to eu rules! needless to say our first up was not serviced in 5 yrs. with no problems & I will take my chances with this one.
Hello,
Out of interest the dealer did initially quote £140 for the A/C service, but reduced this to £100 as part of a special offer.
Thanks to all who provided comments and especially to Up'North who's advise I shall be taking.
Brian

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Km
Hello,
Out of interest the dealer did initially quote £140 for the A/C service, but reduced this to £100 as part of a special offer.
Thanks to all who provided comments and especially to Up'North who's advise I shall be taking.
Brian

·
Registered
124 Posts
AC units don't usually go bang. Potentially they just lose cooling effectiveness. The "service" just changes the refrigerant. My previous car, a Mini, ran for 15 years without an AC service and still worked well at the end of that time. Not leaving the AC switched off for 6 or 8 months is probably the best servicing you can do. For some reason manufacturers of domestic fridges don't tell you you need to service them every 2 years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We've had this thread before.

you dont service your fridge every year by "servicing" it, its a closed system that lasts for the life of the unit.

The only service would be to check the gas levels, and since they would have the manifold on they should completely remove the levels anyway, vac leak test the circuit and re-gas to the correct level. that would cost way over £100.

They are charging you £100 to change a £10 filter that take you 30 seconds under the glovebox (see my guide at the top of the technical forum!)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Aircon loses gas over time, more so if it’s not used.
If it drops below about 60% then the compressor will no longer engage.
I would advice having an A/C “service” about every five years, that’s not just topping up, but vacuum out dry and regas/oil.
You can get this done at most garages “while you wait” and it will cost £50-70

If you don’t do this, the A/C will eventually stop working, you could just leave it until it stops working and then get it done.
But it’s better to look after it. Car A/C works in a fairly hostile environment unlike a domestic fridge which sits in the corner of your kitchen warm and dry.

The worst thing you can do is never use the A/C for months on end, as mentioned above.
Turn it on every so often....although it won’t come on if the outside temperature is below about 5deg C.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm a fridge engineer. If a system is working well it would be foolish to start faffing about with it. As Tom says the system is sealed, it doesn't hold much refrigerant so if there's a leak it's soon gone and not working.

I've never heard of changing oil on a compressor due to age/mileage, I've topped BIG ones up with a styrup pump but that's because of a massive pipe run. I've known some old York compressors in Nottingham COOPs to run for 30 years with the same oil in, they might still be running today 🤣

Don't waste your money on services. If it's working it's all good 👌😊

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife's SEAT Mii is now 7 years old and has never had an air con service, but still functions perfectly.

The dealer was pushing servicing from 2 years on, saying it was a manufacturers requirement. Interestingly I pursued this with SEAT at the time and they stated they made no such recommendation, but dealers were free to offer such additional services if they wish.

·
Registered
670 Posts
My wife’s Beetle is 7 years old and has never had any AC service work and it blast cold air all day long .

·
Registered
360 Posts
My Smart was 10 years old and never had an air con service. It always worked perfectly.

When i had my UP GTI serviced recently at 2 years old at the VW main dealer i was advised of an air con service, as this was standard practice, however the service receptionist said not to bother as this was not needed.

Can you believe that? A VW main dealer telling me NOT to spend money!! I told you my VW dealer was excellent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts