Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was wondering if the air conditioning was climatic? in my mark5 Golf, I leave the air con switched on all the time and it just comes on and off when it is needed based on the position of the heat dial and cabin temperature.

I know some cars that when you turn the air con on, it is on all the time and fights with the heater.

Any ideas about the up!s system?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's not climatic. There's a switch for AC that you toggle on or off as needed.You can see the button here next to the fan speed:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, my golf is the same as above, but it's clever at actually turning the air con on and off when needed. (the led remains on all the time)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Huh! Interesting! Maybe you know something that I don't!I just assumed that for it to be climatic you gave the car a specific temperature and then it would keep that temperature by turning on and off ac as needed.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check my golf manual, just in case I've got it wrong... Lol

·
Registered
553 Posts
Air Con is what it say's on the tin! conditioned air!

Climate control is set to a temperature and maintained, either up or down as required!

We had Air con on our N/Beetle and although it can operate hot or cold it is not climate control as it does not maintain a pre-set temp!

I would assume this is the system in the UP!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems "climatic" means no set temperature control, but will automatically try and keep the cabin at the setting of the red/blue dial.
"climate control" is the full blown digital set system.

So, I assume the up will have climatic, so I can leave it on..

In the old days, there was just windows to open lol....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Buy the Take up! with no air con and save the hassle of a £50 re gass every 12 months and open the window when too warm and turn up the ehater when too cold.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And drink a fresh coca-cola !

·
Registered
705 Posts
As climatic control is still a luxury feature, and I had it on my Škoda Octavia Elegance (a much more expensive car), it is unlikely to be available on the up! It's certainly not mentioned in the brochures or the reviews that I've seen.
The Octavia had an extra dial on the fascia for temperature control so that a specific level could be maintained. As far as I can remember, it was optional, so I could switch back to basic air conditioning - heated or chilled air as required, and a big blast of hot air to clear the windscreen in the winter. I always set it for 20˚C and it was a great thing to have.

I had a basic air conditioning set-up on the Polo 1.4 TD I then bought. The same for my current StreetKa, where it really struggles to provide some cool air when the black canvas roof is up - it really does soak up the sun's rays and makes the cabin almost unbearable when setting off. Thankfully the up! will be a light colour (blue) to help reflect the sun light and keep the inside temperatures down.

Nick

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hi,

I believe that it does work in the same way as the other models controls look the same as that it will have an inverter compressor so the ecu will control the amount of cooling it does

S

·
Registered
525 Posts
balltofeet said:
Buy the Take up! with no air con and save the hassle of a £50 re gass every 12 months and open the window when too warm and turn up the ehater when too cold.
Every 12 months? Is that necessary? I've had my focus 5 years and the air on still works just fine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SiJ2000 said:
Hi, 

I believe that it does work in the same way as the other models controls look the same as that  it will have an inverter compressor so the ecu will control the amount of cooling it does  

S
That's interesting, I had assumed the compressor would either be on or off. Is the compressor pump run by an electric motor?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just found this online..

Compressor: This is the heart of your a/c system. The compressor is what takes the refrigerant (the gas) and pressurizes it so it will cool the air. It's run by an engine belt. The compressor also has an electrically operated clutch that turns the compressor on and off as you demand more cool air.

Would this be the system in use?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The VW system is slightly differently, but the theory is the same. the refrigerant has to be a certain temperature/pressure for the evaporator temperature to be constant and correct. the in car temperature is maintained by an electronic flap which changes the ratio of hot and cold air coming into the car

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I had a play with one in the showroom and I think the key difference between the Up A/C and the A/D on other models that look the same is that the flap which mixes the hot with the cold is not thermostatically controlled, so the temperature is not dynamically regulated. If you get a bit cold, then slide it warmer and vice versa...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Manual aircon are called climatic, and automatic aircon are called climatronic!I have seen this in the Danish2012 Polobrochure!

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Climatic does have automatic temperature regulation though, the up doesn't as far as can tell
Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will test it on a hot day. Will turn up the heat and see if the aircon compressor stops.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts