Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all.
I'm considering an adjustment to the airflow in my Move Up (60hp version) before messing about with things like ecu retunes.

I know theres mods out there to put a cone filter in instead of the airbox but was thinking that, instead of removing the box, would something like this make any improvement?

Found on a Skoda Citigo and thought it might be worth considering, more direct air and probably a higher, colder, flow volume through the existing air box can't hurt from a logical perspective.

Anyone have any experience with doing something like this or have any thoughts on whether it'll improve anything at all or would I just be better going the cone full box replacement (even though its kinda fugly) and to **** with it ?

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
As you suggest collecting colder air will be theoretically advantageous but I expect the difference may be small once the vehicle is moving.
Changing the air filter will very likely have zero performance effect as I would not expect the air filter is the limiting factor in the whole gas flow path through the engine. It’s only likely effect is a different noise.

Maybe the 75PS and 60PS versions have the same base engine, others on here may know if you could run the 75PS calibration in the ECU and have 15PS extra for relatively little effort / cost.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got a cone filter instead of my airbox, have had it since September. The sound it makes, makes the 3-pot sound awesome without touching the exhaust which I think is great, not sure what sort of sound a modded airbox like your picture would give you, not sure how they can differ to be honest.

It is probably not going to be easy to pull in cold air to increase engine performance, you are sticking an open hole under a hot engine bay, just lifting the bonnet is like checking on your food in the oven sometimes. My point is, cold air only really smacks the radiator on the up, I struggle to see where else you will be able to get cold air from to push in to your engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Come filters are a negative influence when it comes to performance. They suck in warmer air from the engine bay.
They sound good though 👍

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
ANY cold air drawn directly from outside the car whilst in motion will have a beneficial effect. Cold air is naturally dense so requires more fuel, it's basically free power. So yes if you can find a good fairly straight route to do that then great, won't harm at all.
As Treads said above do resist putting a cone filter in the engine bay somewhere. Unless they're in direct cold flow then all they do is suck hot air in.

But in all reality you're messing with 60bhp here so any gains will be negligible.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Slightly unrelated but can anyone confirm how high the intake for the airbox is off the ground? Basically, there are huge puddles on every local road and I would like to how much water the car be driven through safely. Normally, I would be very wary about driving slowly through puddles deeper than 6". I know some cars used to have stupidly low air intakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts