Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A neat and cheap mod that brings out a throaty tone. I took off the air silencer (bigugly plastic thing)from the airbox (just two tabs hold it into the aluminum airbox) and sourced a rubber pipe adapter from ebay that I clamped onto the airbox with a hose clamp. Really adds some nice sound if not a bit tractor like at times. Cost me less than £5 and can be changed back in minutes.

The seller is "tuningpartsbay" and the item is listed as a "reducer silicon coupler hose tube joiner pipe and you select 2.5"-3".

Coincidently this same item fits in the rearmost Up! cupholder and reduces the size at the bottom so smaller bottles like water fit more tightly! So I bought two!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
what about water ingress etc?? the long plastic pipe is there for a reason, also will the shorter one not just suck in all the hot air from around the engine actually losing a wee bit of your precious horsepower?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Privatedoc said:
what about water ingress etc?? the long plastic pipe is there for a reason, also will the shorter one not just suck in all the hot air from around the engine actually losing a wee bit of your precious horsepower?

You still have the panel filter in between the inlet and the throttle body, so water ingress shouldn't be an issue.

Hot air intake is better for MPG though, so if you're not worried about losing a couple of BHP you'll get even better fuel consumption from the up!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please - there is loads of airflow thru the Up nose, water had more chance splashing up into the long snorkel than reaching the intake in this setup.Why don't you naysayers who want a bit more engine note just unsnap the silencer and try without? My little velocity stack is more for looks tha naything else. And before someone says it you still have the factory airbox/filter - though I've put a K&N element in mine......

·
Registered
23 Posts
thank you for taking the time to record the sound!sounds good, but to be honest, in my opinion, i guess it's really hard to understand the change through a video, and it needs to be heared in real life to feel difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like your thinking.. I've done similar mods on a motorbike and the induction noise increase was great

I've fitted K&Ns to last three cars mainly because I don't like paying for paper filters. I keep the claen paper elements and put them back in when it goes for a service so it doesn't need replacing,,, K&Ns pay for themselves if they save you buying a few paper filters

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
^its not about performance, obviously. It's a 3 pot motor, nobody bought it for performance, or even potential for performance. It's about noise and even personality.
Why have people to be so judgmental, don't like it? That's fine, no need to be rude about it though.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Davec86 said:
^its not about performance, obviously. It's a 3 pot motor, nobody bought it for performance, or even potential for performance. It's about noise and even personality.
Why have people to be so judgmental, don't like it? That's fine, no need to be rude about it though.

I must agree with Davec86, people like different things, lowering the car is popular and I enjoy reading and looking at the photo's of owners efforts even though it's not for me.
Some of the wrapped cars look good I would like to do that but again removing the rear wiper is not for me but if you think it makes the car more stylish and it's what you want then do it.
Some people want to take their brand new car apart to personalise it and that's something I wouldn't do but I enjoy reading about it so long may it continue.... lets encourage these people who want to give their cars a bit of personalty.

It's a friendly forum.......lets keep it that way.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's a bit like when we used to tape a bit of cardboard to the front forks of our push bikes as kids so it flicked between the spokes to sound like a motorbike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts