Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new up! Owner, I picked it up on Friday and it's fantastic. However today the airbag warning light came on and stayed on. Will call the dealer tomorrow but I'm a bit miffed to have a glitch already. Has anyone else had this problem? Also the bmt has been working fine even when it's been quite cold. It's been warmer today but hasn't worked at all. Can anyone help please?

·
Registered
69 Posts
By 'BMT' do you mean the stop/start function?There are many factors that affect it... temp of the engine, rolling, state of the battery, how recently you last restarted, all sorts of things. Perhaps one of those.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The only time my stop start hasn't kicked in if I've just started my journey (cold engine) , after reversing, or obviously if its switched off at dash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. So I take it a two mile trip to the shops isn't long enough for the engine to warm up then? Sorry I'm a complete novice!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The engine may be warm enough, but it might not be. Have a look in the handbook for all the other factors, then just relax and see what happens over the next few journeys.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My BMT would use the stop/start even when it was cold and most of the gadgets were on. There are quite many factors that affect it but with normal driving these factors should be fulfilled by basically getting off your driveway and driving down the road.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Stop/Start systems have quite a number ofparametersto be filled before it will turn off.

Engine temp
Battery State
Electricity requirements
Outside Temp

I have also found that the stop/start car vary quite a bit even between the same car. I had it on a 1 Series I had a few years back and could be quite unpredictable of it working or not. I had a BMW F20 1 Series for a week just over a month ago and it worked once in a week of driving.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I thought I would explain how start stop works a bit more in detail as I work for BMW and we have had this since 2007 and most other manufactures have copied the basic principles

Most start stops won't work when temp gets below 7c

Won't stop if battery is not in a full state of charge this can happen when car is brand new especially if been delay in delivery from factory. dealer won't charge battery when they get car unless it is flat so can take a bit of time to work again

Won't stop if engine temp is not hot enough

Won't stop if you have a lot of electrical items on ie heating on full blast heated seats

One thing you can try and don't know if it will work on a up but does on BMW if you stall it and if you depress the clutch does it re start by its shelf ? If it does then it works just met the right conditions for start stop yet

I did not bother with a BMT on our up as driven mainly around the county side and we may keep the up for a long time so did not want any problems when up is getting on !

Saying that start stop systems have been very reliable up until now

I hope this helps

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ian986 said:
One thing you can try and don't know if it will work on a up but does on BMW if you stall it and if you depress the clutch does it re start by its shelf ? If it does then it works just met the right conditions for start stop yet
Yes this is the case with the up, restart from stall

·
Registered
5 Posts
BMW copied VW.........

In Europe, the Derby was available with 0.9-litre (895 cc), 1.1-litre (1,093 cc) and 1.3-litre (1,272 cc) four-cylinder engines, with 40, 50 and 60 bhp respectively. The Derby Formel E ("Formula E"), offered in 1981 only, was an economy-optimised Derby featuring, among other things, a longer ratio gearbox, automatic engine turn-off when idling and a high compression version on the 1.1 L engine that demanded super instead of regular petrol. The Formel E concept was also available on other contemporary VW and Audi models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, I'll try stalling it and see. It didn't work all day then suddenly did in the last half hour, so maybe it's just been too cold. It is a new car too so maybe a battery issue. Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think you will find that Toyota (1975) was first people to have start stop tech ! But BMW was first to roll out across the whole range of cars in 2007 in manual ! now most autos have it too inc M3 !

·
Registered
525 Posts
Eh up said:
Hi, new up! Owner, I picked it up on Friday and it's fantastic. However today the airbag warning light came on and stayed on. Will call the dealer tomorrow but I'm a bit miffed to have a glitch already. Has anyone else had this problem? Also the bmt has been working fine even when it's been quite cold. It's been warmer today but hasn't worked at all. Can anyone help please?
You are not alone! I have had a lot of trouble with my stop/start system, though in my case a warning buzzer sounded and the stop/start on/off light flashed on and off continuously. First time it went in they diagnosed a faulty brake booster sensor, but the problem recurred and they have just completely retired my car on instruction from VW!!!! I should get it back tomorrow.

I too found the operation of the stop/start system a little idiosyncratic, and I'm hoping it might be connected. Eg after a long journey with no lights on and just the radio on I'd stop at lights and the engine would restart after only thirty seconds, but on a cold morning with lights and everything on it would stay off for a good two minutes. The list of conditions in the VW up manual is far from complete. I recommend the Citigo manual that you can download here. https://mediaportal.skoda-auto.com/resource/documentation/manuals/en/Citigo/05-2012/Radio/A00_Citigo_Funky_CarRadio.pdf

Update! Sorry, that link doesn't seem to work any more, or maybe it's my iPad. Anyway, if you ask your dealer they will give you a complete list.Edited by: yapmaul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine turned out to be a faulty seatbelt which they replaced and have since had no trouble at all. I had trouble with the bmt for the first couple of weeks so I think that was just the battery charging up fully as I've not had any trouble with that either.. Phew!

·
Registered
467 Posts
it turned out there was a fault in steering wheel airbag. dealer dissasambled the steering wheel, assambled it back and deleted the error.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts