Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit annoyed. Took Up! In for its 12000 mile service and we asked if they could deactivate the airbag as very occassionally our small (8 month) grandson would be better off in the front. Only the dealer can switch it off and they 'say' you need to book it in for half an hour of tech time. So that and tbe £15 to inform the insurance that we switched it off makes it about £60 in total.

Airbags should be easily accessed surely....

·
Registered
149 Posts
On the Seat Mii, the passenger airbag deactivation is a standard fit. I was surprised that vw considered it to be a cost option. And an expensive one at that. VW want £250 for something which ought to be standard. Cheeky so and sos.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Probably VW think and rightly so that safety is more important than convenience.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
thirteen-o-two said:
Beevee said:
Probably VW think and rightly so that safety is more important than convenience.
so, making it difficult to switch back on after making it safe for a child is a great idea? I love an ill thought out post
well done.
No making it difficult to switch off is a good idea. Especially when a thoughtless idiot forgets to switch the airbag back on when carrying a passenger in the front seat who gets injured as a result.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You get a very clear warning light in the Seat so it is hard to miss that it is turned off. The passenger can see the light too. The rear seats are not large enough for a big car rear facing car seat.
It is clearly penny pinching not having it standard on the VW as from memory it comes bundled in the City Safe Braking pack (increased safety) & it is standard on larger VWs.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My understanding of this issue is that the Up! does not have the facility to switch off the air bags. The only reason for switching off the airbags is to accommodate a child seat in the front seat. If you require this feature it can be purchased as an extra. If it comes as standard you are paying for a feature you do not require.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Beevee said:
My understanding of this issue is that the Up! does not have the facility to switch off the air bags. The only reason for switching off the airbags is to accommodate a child seat in the front seat. If you require this feature it can be purchased as an extra. If it comes as standard you are paying for a feature you do not require.
Ideal if you can plan all the journeys you are going to make while you own the car!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts