Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Replaced my wife's High Up and with an Up GTI (both from new). Never faulted the aircon with the old one (in seven years) but the first time she used it in the GTI nothing happened. No cold air at all. Dealer too busy to look at it for a week then wants it for 4 hours!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's warranty then a process hasto be followed, can't just fit parts for the sake of it....
Yes but given the weather it would have been nice if they could have had a quick look at it sooner to make sure it wasn't something trivial, esp as it prob hasn't worked from new :(

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Is it just the standard chiller or climate control?

I assume the fan is running ok, as the chiller won't come on unless the fan is on....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it just the standard chiller or climate control?

I assume the fan is running ok, as the chiller won't come on unless the fan is on....
yes, standard chiller. Fan works just no cold air even at full fan. Heating part works fine.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Ok. When you press the chiller button, can you hear or sense the compressor engaging?

If not, it may be a fuse, but don't worry beyond that, as the dealer will sort it, in time for the end of summer! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. When you press the chiller button, can you hear or sense the compressor engaging?

If not, it may be a fuse, but don't worry beyond that, as the dealer will sort it, in time for the end of summer! :)
Good point, I'll get her to test if the compressor is operating :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Normally, they are electronically controlled, and you can hear them engage, but I'm not certain for Up!s.

Check fuse no1 in the fusebox under the dash to the right of the steering column - it's shown in the manual.

If not that, then a dealer visit is needed. In any case, if it's the fuse, there is always a reason as to why they blow and that will need checking....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Very much doubt it's that. I've heard of various seals to have not been fitted correctly at factory, normally the 2 seals on the pipes at the condenser, over a short period of time the gas leaks out. A pair of new seals and refill air con system fixes the fault.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does the light come on when you press the switch? If it does then it's not the fuse. There's a pressure switch in the pipework, if the gas pressure drops to a certain level the condenser won't switch on but the light on the switch will still come on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the light come on when you press the switch? If it does then it's not the fuse. There's a pressure switch in the pipework, if the gas pressure drops to a certain level the condenser won't switch on but the light on the switch will still come on.
Very much doubt it's that. I've heard of various seals to have not been fitted correctly at factory, normally the 2 seals on the pipes at the condenser, over a short period of time the gas leaks out. A pair of new seals and refill air con system fixes the fault.
Sounds highly plausible :) Light does come on when selected.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You're giving the op no real help and by the looks of it no real help with most of your comments. Maybe try reading what people have posted before you give your input

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Car fixed. No coolant apparently on an 9 month old car. They won't admit the seals have been leaking though. Will watch very closely. The dealer had no record of the booking.. Luckily I had their confirmation text on my phone. I buy VW despite my local delaer, not because of them :(

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Don't forget to use the aircon for a few minutes at least once a month, even in Winter, as it stops the seals from drying out.

Having said that it shouldn't have lost all its gas in seven months from new. As you have said, keep a check on it to make sure it's working.

Fortunately you have a 3 year warranty.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts