Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Up! is on order, and we've had some bad winters in Tyneside over the last few years with ice on my street for a month or two per year.

I was wondering about the idea of getting the garage (VW Harrogate) to fit all season tyres -
<b style="font-size: 10px; line-height: 17px; text-align: left; ">Goodyear Vector 4Seasons[/b]- instead of the OEM tyres. I thought they would give better grip in winter without going to the trouble of changing the tyres/wheels (which I do on my car)

Review here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Any thoughts from you owners would be most welcome. Ty.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Better bet would be to get a set of steel wheels and true winter tyres, not too expensive and your nice alloys get tucked up in the garage for the winter away from the salt and kerbs!....I have all season tyres fitted to my wifes car (an A-Class Merc) and with it being front wheel drive, it coped admirably in the slippery winter. mind you, it has steel wheels anyway so couldn't justify a second set.

mytyres.co.uk I think can supply a set of winter tyres already on steel rims quite reasonably and remember your summer tyres will last longer as they are not being used for several months.

all in all, its not really about tread but more about working temperature...if under 7 Celcius winter tyres work best, that really means most of the winter up here!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Point taken, but the driving will be mainly suburban so I don't think I will need full snow tyres (have a Toyota Previa and Lexus CT with full sets of snow tyres).

We are cool and damp, not as cold as you but maybe wetter.

·
Registered
957 Posts
johnleigh said:
Hi, my Up! is on order, and we've had some bad winters in Tyneside over the last few years with ice on my street for a month or two per year.

I was wondering about the idea of getting the garage (VW Harrogate) to fit all season tyres - 
<b style="font-size: 10px; line-height: 17px; text-align: left; ">Goodyear Vector 4Seasons[/b] - instead of the OEM tyres. I thought they would give better grip in winter without going to the trouble of changing the tyres/wheels (which I do on my car)

Review here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm 

Any thoughts from you owners would be most welcome. Ty.
Did you get the all season/weather tyres ?

Anyone tried them out ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts