Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

If you have alloys with your Up! check you have the locking nuts. I had my first flat tyre yesterday and the locking nuts weren't in the boot. Not good. I had to call VW rescue to fix my flat tyre.

I contacted the dealer who said they must have been there when delivered and that was as far as they were going to help with the matter. Then I realised I'd just had my one year service. Were the wheels not removed when you checked the brakes? Apparently not, they can check the brakes without removing the wheels. Not convinced I asked to see a copy of the VW manual the mechanics use when they service the Up! The dealer was right, you do not need to remove the wheels to check the brakes. They also agreed 'as a goodwill gesture' to issue a set of four locks and nut.

Any way. The reason for my post is, if you have alloys with your Up! check you have the locking nuts.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Not sure what you are trying to say? Do you mean you have not got the adapter to unlock the nuts? If you have not got locking wheel nuts you would have been able to remove the wheel!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer described them as 'locking wheel nuts' in their email. My post said I didn't have any when I went to change my tyre, therefore I couldn't change it.

VW rescue repaired my tyre so I can drive and the dealer is going to give me replacements.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You might not have had 4x ordinary wheel nuts supplied with the car but that wouldn't have mattered as long as you had the tool to remove the (one per wheel) locking wheel nuts. If you have a spare wheel (rather than the infamous goo and compressor) it should be in with the jack/wheel brace as per pic below, shown at the top right. I can't actually remember if I have the 4x standard bolts or not but will check later. As long as you have three ordinary bolts and one locking bolt plus the very important locking wheel nut adapter then there's no need for any more bolts. If you don't have the adapter then it would be impossible to remove the locking wheel nut at the side of the road. However, looking at this adapter, I bet every alloy wheel locking bolt, fitted to a VW up!/Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii is exactly the same? I wonder if any one could confirm or deny this?

Edited by: Robbyrook

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
jonandbilly said:
The dealer described them as 'locking wheel nuts' in their email.  My post said I didn't have any when I went to change my tyre, therefore I couldn't change it.

VW rescue repaired my tyre so I can drive and the dealer is going to give me replacements.
I still don't understand if you didn't have any locking wheel nuts why couldn't you take the wheel off?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think what he means is that he didn't have the key to remove the locking nut on each wheel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Robbyrook said:
However, looking at this adapter, I bet every alloy wheel locking bolt, fitted to a VW up!/Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii is exactly the same? I wonder if any one could confirm or deny this?
The locking wheel nuts & key provided by manufacturers generally provide very meager protection. Best to get some McGards if you have especially tasty wheels.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Robbyrook said:
You might not have had 4x ordinary wheel nuts supplied with the car but that wouldn't have mattered as long as you had the tool to remove the (one per wheel) locking wheel nuts.  If you have a spare wheel (rather than the infamous goo and compressor) it should be in with the jack/wheel brace as per pic below, shown at the top right.  I can't actually remember if I have the 4x standard bolts or not but will check later.  As long as you have three ordinary bolts and one locking bolt plus the very important locking wheel nut adapter then there's no need for any more bolts.  If you don't have the adapter then it would be impossible to remove the locking wheel nut at the side of the road.  However, looking at this adapter, I bet every alloy wheel locking bolt, fitted to a VW up!/Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii is exactly the same?  I wonder if any one could confirm or deny this?

No they have a different pattern machined into them, so your mates locking nut key would not work on your wheels, unless you were very lucky and had the same pattern! When they do the handover at the dealership they should show you what's in the boot including the locking bolt key etc. If they do it properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts