Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know a rough price for refurbishing alloy wheels? And does it last?

Our main car is a golf and one tyre needs topping up every couple of weeks after it had new tyres. I took it back to the garage today and they removed the tyre and cleaned up the wheel, but they did show me part of the wheel that was corroding. They said that he corrosion was causing bubbles to escape on the inside rim.
They said it would be best to get the wheels refurbished, but didn't have the facility.

I see a new set of wheels would be around £400, but wondered how that compares to getting the originals repaired.

Any advice would be greatly received.. Cheers, Alex.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Tart up by one of the mobile guys is £40-60; seen lots of lacquer lifting after a while on this sort of repair.

Full OEM standard refurb' ie shot blast / powder coat / bake is around £100. As good as new after this.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VWXYZ said:
Tart up by one of the mobile guys is £40-60; seen lots of lacquer lifting after a while on this sort of repair.

Full OEM standard refurb'  ie shot blast / powder coat / bake is around £100.  As good as new after this.
Thanks for your reply. If that's £100 for one wheel, then I guess it's not much different to buying a new wheel.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rednaxela said:
VWXYZ said:

Full OEM standard refurb' ie shot blast / powder coat / bake is around £100. As good as new after this.
Thanks for your reply. If that's £100 for one wheel, then I guess it's not much different to buying a new wheel.

Yes, only 1 wheel - £400 is considered a budget alloy wheel set so maybe best to buy a new one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rednaxela,From previous experience, if a wheel is losing air pressure due to its condition, I'd recommend replacing it. Assuming the wheel is standard, I would expect a replacement alloy to cost in the region of £100-£140. I ended up on the expensive side of a £200 Bridgestone tyre blow out as i didn't replace my wheel which was causing the same issue as yours. A refurb will make the wheel look immaculate, yet cannot solve the alloy's porous condition in the long term.
You didn't mention if the tyre shop has been using a sealing compound on the wheel to ensure a good mating surface should it just be a lacquer based issue you are experiencing? For wheels to become porous, the usually have had the clip on weights or weights hammered to them rather that stuck on.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks mrup. I will see if vw still supply this wheel design.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
MrUp is quite right! The balancing weights on alloys should always be stuck inside the wheel from the back... The hammer on ones are just for steel wheels!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts