Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to fit alloy wheels to my lovely new Up, but don't know what fits and what doesn't! Can anyone help explain what I need to look for? Apparently according to one website the PCD and centre bore are the same on an Up as a Mk2 Golf and E30 BMW. Does this mean I could fit old school BBS alloys as a straight fit? Or are there other factors that come into it?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
There are other factors yes, but I believe you are right in terms of sharing the 4x100 PCD and centre bore with a. MKII. You need to consider the wheels 'ET' diameter and width.
I'm not exactly sure on what min and max ET you can get away with, as I haven't yet changed mine out, the ride height needs sorting first ;)
Same goes for width, you'll be fine with a 7in, I think 8in will likely fit too.
Do you have wheels in mind?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks for the info. I'm a bit clueless with fitments and things! I like the BBS that came as standard on the late MK2s, but also the deep dish BBS alloys that come in a similar style!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The old BBS from a MKII, unless I'm mistaken are RAs, which should fit just fine, I don't know my golfs too well, but I assume they'd be a 15x7. The ET shouldn't be an issue on those.
As for any other non OEM wheel they produce, I'm not sure I'm afraid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the ET the offset? I've just checked and the offset is 35 on an Up, and the same on Golf Mk2s, with some Mk2s being 38.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just zoomed in on a picture of some Golf Mk2 BBS whells on ebay, it says 6Jx15H2 and ET35 on them, if that means anything?!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
As far as I'm aware, that means they would fit! :)
6 is the width, 15 is the diameter, and the ET is the offset yea, seems a winner to me. Just outta interest, what kinda BBS are they?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fantastic! I might just have to buy them to find out 100%, but it does seem like they'll fit, a great result! Thanks very much for your help and information. They are BBS RA alloys. I might get a set, and providing they fit, get them refurbed. I think they would look great on an Up!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Very much with you there, they're a cracking wheel. I've 3 13" RAs in my garage from my old G40, gutted I haven't a fourth, 13 is maybe a little small though really :-/

·
Registered
145 Posts
metroman said:
I've just zoomed in on a picture of some Golf Mk2 BBS whells on ebay, it says 6Jx15H2 and ET35 on them, if that means anything?!

I bought a pair of those for my up, I havent tried them on the car yet but they will fit. I just need to respray them

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool! Post a pic of what they look like on the car if you can when they are fitted, be interesting to see how good they look!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey!
Im also interested in BBS wheels.
Yesterday I got my new take up!
At home I tried the wheels I had in my garage.

O.Z Superturismo 7x16" offset 42
On the front axle the wheels had contact to the steering link

(There are O.Z Superturismo 7x16" offset 37 <!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->available<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->, they will fit)

BBS Typ 473 6x15" offset 45 (VW part 1HO601025AD) image: silver wheel
On the front axle the wheels had contact with the brake calliper

(These wheels are from a Golf 3 GT)

Now I will get some BBS 6x15" offset 35 from a Golf 1. image: black/silver wheel
I think that this will fit.

Bye,
Klaus

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh that might change things ???? as i thought o.z rims would fit as i thought the vw optional extra 16" UPILSON alloys were 16 x 6 and ET43 ????? can anyone tell me what ET upilson or triangle alloys are now please???

·
Registered
727 Posts
2020mad said:
Oh that might change things ???? as i thought o.z rims would fit as i thought the vw optional extra 16" UPILSON alloys were 16 x 6 and ET43 ????? can anyone tell me what ET upilson or triangle alloys are now please???

I believe the classic wheels on my up! white are 16x6 ET 43 (but I'd have to look again to be sure).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You can essentially fit any wheel you want to your Up! with a little ingenuity. Spacers/PCD adapters/wobble bolts (if you're that way inclined!) will help you

·
Registered
142 Posts
vwild1 said:
2020mad said:

I believe the classic wheels on my up! white are 16x6 ET 43 (but I'd have to look again to be sure).

that would be great if you could sometime for me, and if you could see how much clearence is on inside of rim to steering suspension on front that would be spot on :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am currently working out adapter sizes needed to get my porsche rims on mine, hence finding out ET and clerence issue can only afford to buy adapters once so need to order correct thicknesses 1st time round :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts