Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Taking the plunge in the new year and going to dump the current (random) maps & more infotainment system and fit a real one !

Been done a few times by members, pre face lift cars, photos on this forum. However, currently no conversion template exists for the current (face lift) model, so a custom install required, I'll post details and photos when it happens

Question: I would quite like to keep the temp gauge and fuel stats on the App. Does the App actually connect to the radio or some data bus elsewhere in the car ? Any suggestions would be helpful...

Happy New Year !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Guys

Taking the plunge in the new year and going to dump the current (random) maps & more infotainment system and fit a real one !

Been done a few times by members, pre face lift cars, photos on this forum. However, currently no conversion template exists for the current (face lift) model, so a custom install required, I'll post details and photos when it happens

Question: I would quite like to keep the temp gauge and fuel stats on the App. Does the App actually connect to the radio or some data bus elsewhere in the car ? Any suggestions would be helpful...

Happy New Year !!
Im interested in this, hope it works well for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Watching.....I too am keen to fit a CarPlay unit with a decent screen...hampered’ at present by facelift fascia and beats audio system though I’ve been told the beats amp is speaker level input but not definite !

good luck and keep us informed mate (y)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Red (all)

Yes, getting it fitted next week, photos to follow and possibly a video ! Also a reversing camera (now I'll have a 9''screen) and whilst I'm there, a dash cam....................

Retro heated seats done last week, BRILLIANT !!

Finally items I'm looking at are, some form of head lamp upgrade, heated mirrors and maybe cruise

Busy busy ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
VW list this as a single-din radio adaptor for the mk2 Up

1S0 858 069 F ICL - £28.44 inc vat, currently on back order though

·
Registered
70 Posts
My biggest worry with these floating tablet systems is security, is there a similar system where the screen can be removed?

R

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1S0 858 069 F ICL - £28.44 inc vat, currently on back order though
Now available, big thank you to Lupogtiboy(y) (matt finish but looks great)
Full post to follow with photos and details...............transforms the car !

Non removable, so think before you park. However, lots of cars now have large floating screens so hope it will be lost in the back wash

·
Registered
70 Posts
Excellent stuff, can't wait too see the end result. Out of curiosity, where are you bringing the USB lead out through the dash and which model reverse camera did you use?

Many thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Guys

OK, here we go, fitted, looks great using the factory conversion one din plate. The Alpine has been updated and now has its own Sat Nav. as its only £150 more expensive than the old model, why wouldn't you ? Details and comments below
  • Alpine Halo 904 single din + Alpine camera + Dash Cams, single day install
  • Brilliant service and R&D from Advance in-car Technologies (you tube )
  • Custom install, each detail checked with me at every stage, can't recommend them enough (wouldn't have wanted to try this on my own)
  • Custom splash screen to your choice, they offered me 5 options before I chose this one
  • Bespoke cable install, I chose usb option, discrete with no cable, charges as well as supporting Android Auto
  • Maps and More are GONE ! Replaced by Alpine monitor, dedicated navigation and a real radio !
  • Beats amp replaced with the MUCH BETTER (IMHO) Alpine amp, music is so much clearer, crisper
  • DAB is instant and no random station selection and a NINE INCH SCREEN
  • All other functions replaced or duplicated. Only missing item is the Think Blue/ mpg stuff which takes its feed from the original VW single din unit
  • PLUS (in my case) Android Auto with Google voice assistance, google maps, wazs, podcast etc etc
  • Near vertical mount so no reflections, little bit tight on indicator stalk tip but workable
  • Heater controls easy to see and work, low profile so discrete from outside the car
  • Mated to a compatible Alpine camera, colour coded, auto and manual selection, brilliant !
  • Images below
    20200220_154010.jpg
    20200220_154043.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Looks great...is that the lowest the screen can sit?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks great but to address the elephant in the room, changing your heating and ventilation controls must be a PITA! Are you double jointed or do you have opposable thumbs?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Really looks incredible, bertter than I expected. I think I'll have to go for something similar in the long run, but a slightly smaller screen (for cost). I only have a base model Up, but only really listen to podcasts so amps and big speakers etc would be wasted on me, but as a route to Android Auto this looks incredible, I even like the cable connection out the top of the cup holder area.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Guys

Thanks guys, I'm pleased, I plan on keeping the car for a while so the investment was worth it to me
To answer all the comments.

Screen is at its lowest setting, drivers point of view is higher than the 3rd image suggests. I can see/ reach everything on the heater, and actually see RW switch, only the re-circ slider is truly hidden, but I know where it is.......

2nd photo shows that there is easy enough room to operate the heater controls, lived with it for a week now, no issues, In fact, in order to use the screen, you wouldn't want it much lower as you really would need to be double jointed to use the hard 'short cuts' buttons at the bottom of the unit

Uses the standard 6 speaker set up, only the amp is different (and way better) as is the radio. Until you try it, you won't beleave the step up from the standard Maps and More. Android Auto gives you Google Assist so a lot of voice commands rather than inputs. Navigation on a 9'' screen, nuff said

Previously I had a Black and White portable TV, now I've got a 42'' colour wall mounted flat screen TV

NB: Smaller screen, doesn't exist, trust me I looked. Although there was this one guy in Germany who made a whole custom dash board, took him a month, moved the heater controls below a 7'' screen (that didn't take Android Auto !!)
:cool:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PS. Forgot to mention the reversing camera, brilliant bit of kit, on screen parking lines and grids optional to select

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Guys
Advance in-car Technologies (you tube ) have just uploaded my install video if you're interested

1 - 20 of 22 Posts