Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is there already an alternative head unit bezel for replacement 1 Din / 2 Din audio system?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nothing I have seen the problem is that the heater controls are all incorporated into the bezel along with the radio. In theory a single din radio would fit in length not sure in height and you would need a custombezelfor the heater controls.

Double Din is too big unless you relocate the heater controls, a real shame as I would fit an RCD310 or even RCD510 if they would fit without heavy modification.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, there is.Actually the UP! is available in 3 different bezel-types, depending on where they are sold. In other words, there are 3 different bezels available from VW, where one of them is for 1DIN HU.

When I made the 2DIN conversion for my UP! I ordered a 1DIN bezel, so I didn't had to do the mod to the factory radio-bezel, as for this the radio is a part of the bezel itself.

I have the part-number somewhere, for the different 3 types of bezel available, as VW don't even know the options them self, so I had to do a lot of research to find out...

·
Registered
587 Posts
-Aze- said:
Yes, there is.Actually the UP! is available in 3 different bezel-types, depending on where they are sold. In other words, there are 3 different bezels available from VW, where one of them is for 1DIN HU.

When I made the 2DIN conversion for my UP! I ordered a 1DIN bezel, so I didn't had to do the mod to the factory radio-bezel, as for this the radio is a part of the bezel itself.

I have the part-number somewhere, for the different 3 types of bezel available, as VW don't even know the options them self, so I had to do a lot of research to find out...

Oh brill there is nothing in the UK and the UK version only comes with the RC215 built in.

Have you any pics as well as part numbers? I have seen your double din install but pics of the bezel on its own would be a great help.

Only final issue would be the interface with the M&M and if a third party radio would still allow full interface? But may be worth it for a better HU especially radio reception?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1DIN bezel from VW sounds interesting... I'll be glad as well to see a picture and have the part number.Edited by: dave35

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Its a little bit hard to see, is it the black glossy finish with a white frame?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nope, no glossy. Just ordinary black plastic. It's not available in the glossy look, as this is a "cheaper" bezel..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Need a respray into Gloss black or another colour then, although looks more like a storage cubby from a cheap export version?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It will be very difficult to do in a glossy-look, that looks like the "original" type!
The original bezel is made from ABS+PC plastic, which makes it looks "glossy" when polished.
This type is made from ABS only, which is why there's no glossy-look.
Also if painted, the white line will be almost impossible to keep, as this is a so called "silk-print" which is made on the ABS/PC surface.

If needing a glossy-look, I think the only option is to paint the whole bezel, and then hope for a close-to-similar look.

In regards to the look, it is how it looks in the Citigo by design! This has no glossy-look at all...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mjölner: Exactly. It's clear to see the none-glossy look at this picture.
I'm wondering if this is for the Citigo, as there's no white line around?
Is it yours?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, it's mine. This should be ment for up! since I ordered it directly from the dealer...

I don't know is there any glossy bezels available. This one will be glossy black in the future

·
Registered
61 Posts
MrUp: Exactly: I saw this as well, but the seller at VW didn't knew anything about the "bezel only", and only option was to order the complete RMT200, if I wanted the bezel...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds about right for vw parts! Is anytime able to obtain the part number via the vw parts catalog? I don't hold a copy.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
How about fitting a single din flip-out screen type unit, would that work?...also lets you do away with M&M and free up the view if you are short! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very interesting!

I'm thinking about installing a Pioneer headunit instead of the RCD215 - i don't want the M&M.

Which cable adapters do you need for the UP?
I haven't been able to find any adapters for the UP family...

First car so i haven't played with car radios before

1 - 20 of 60 Posts