Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the front lights/headlights.

When I go out in the car, I have to set the light switch to the 12 o'clock position to switch off the sidelights so that I'm only using the daytime running lights. BUT when I switch off the engine and open the door, the car beeps at me to turn the lights off so I have to turn the switch back to 11 o'clock to turn them off.

Is that a bit odd or am I being a real dimwit and missing something obvious?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think you will find the "daytime running light"s don't need to be switched on!

And what you are actually doing is switching on the lights! hence the bing! when turning off the ignition!

I think!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, it's just that when I'm parked up in front of the house, I can see the lights reflected in my living room window. With the engine switched off, the 11 o'clock position shows no lights at all but when I switch the engine on, this position shows both the sidelights and the daytime running lights.

So, with the engine on, I move the light switch to 12 o'clock and the sidelights go off so I'm just left with the daytime running lights. When I then switch off the engine and open the door, I get the warning to switch the lights off so I have to move it back to 11 o'clock again. I'm very confused

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
yes the little dial at 12o clock is having the side lights on, you need to do it at like 1 or 2.... the "off" bit leaves the daytime running lights on

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, just had a play around whilst looking at the handbook.

Everything works as it should (based on the handbook) but the daytime running lights are far brighter than the sidelights so it would appear that that's where I've gone wrong because I assumed it would be the other way round.

So, I AM a dimwit after all

Edited by: clowesa

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I also assumed that the side lights would be brighter, so your not the only one

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I haven't touched the lights dial yet. So will have to check that out now

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rednaxela said:
I also assumed that the side lights would be brighter, so your not the only one

Glad it's not just me then. All I know about cars is where to put the petrol, oil and water so I always assume that with anything else, I'm just being a bit of a muppet.

Would be useful for me if a few others were to check their lights & post a comment as to whether they're the same cos I can't help wondering if VW have got the wiring wrong somehow (highly unlikely I know). Just need to put my mind at rest.

You checked yours yet Sharon?

Edited by: clowesa

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi
When you have daytime running lights on the bulbs are on the highest wattage..When sidelights are used the bulbs go onto the lower wattage.
( you do not need a brighter sidelight when main lights are on)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Grumps, that's helpful. So based on what you said, do the sidelights stay on when the main lights are on?

Anyway, hubby's just been checking out the handbook again and it looks to me as if it's the naming that's confusing me.

Am I right in saying that the daytime running lights are, in fact, what we used to call sidelights and the sidelights are what we used to call parking lights (because they stay on when you get out of the car and lock the doors)?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi
sidelights are on when headlights are on....but are dim ......(not as bright if on , on there own)

Bulb filaments are duel wattage!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Alison mine is deffo the same as yours.

I must say I'm not a fan of daytime driving lights, feel a bit of a Numpty when the suns shining.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Yes daytime runners are much brighter than the sidelights.
you should feel a numpty, most people know that all new cars have them on these days, volvos have for years!!

am i right in assuming, daytime runners are front lights only, but when you have sidelights on that the rear lights come on too?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
ok, so;

DRL's for daytime driving..

Once it gets dusk, switch to main lights

if you park up on a dark road, use sidelights when required?

in other words, you only use sidelights if you have stopped but need to be visible? Is that right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It would be nice if you could get "real" info from the dealer but my one did not even know that the White-Up came with the Maps and More as standard, so there was little point in asking him how to use it.
and he only told us about the day time running lights when we were driving out the showroom....?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Being driven and working with VW's for years at work it is like this:
11 o'clock position: daytime running lights only, lights off when motor is not running. This way you don't have to touch the dial at all during daytime.
12 o'clock: parking lights. Lights are dimmer to save the battery when motor is not running.

1 o'clock: full driving lights with short and long option. To be used when driving during dark hours.

It has been forced by law in Finland that you must have driving lights on when driving any time of the day. That is not for you to see better but for others to see you better. And you can get fined for driving with parking lights only (12 o'clock)because they are not bright enought to be seen during sunlight. I believe this is the case in most European countries and that is also the reason why they put automatic daytime lights to new cars. Wouldn't surprise me if they force it in UK also in the future. We have had that law since 80's.

Edited by: Ackwell

1 - 20 of 21 Posts