Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been a Toyota Aygo owner for the past two years and was very curious to try the VW Up! I test drove it the other day and here is my take on it. Compared to the Aygo, VW Up is a much more refined car (and it should be since it is 10 years younger to the Aygo). It is far quieter (both engine, road and tyre noise is less), it has better suspension (soaks bumps easily), the steering is very precise, it is very stable (even at high speeds of up to 130km/h, gear change is sleek, seats are comfortable, seats are height adjustable, has more modern interior and it could be used for long journeys and not just short journeys like the Aygo. It has a big boot and a clever double height boot. All in all VW has done a good job of studying the Aygo and eliminating its faults and improving on it. The only thing remaining to see is if the VW Up is going to be just as relaible as Toyota Aygo has been. VW dealership here in Sweden are known for their inactivity and bad reputation and that might just kill this super little car in this country. Enjoy your car guys, it is a winner!

Edited by: Raj55

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good comparison, but the Aygo is just 7 years old not 10. My wife is on her second Peugeot 107, both have been superb cars with not one fault or issue. As you know, the 107 is an Aygo in all but styling. We let Toyota service our 107s, as they do a better job than Peugeot and at half the price!
It will be interesting to compare the 107 with my forthcoming Citigo over time.

Here in the UK its the same with VW dealers, they are ranked around mid table in satisfaction surveys but Im lucky, Skoda are in the top and my local dealer is superb.

One thing the Aygo/107 has a lot more of than the Up etc is character, the Aygo is like a modern BMC Mini

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
barryG,
yes the Aygo and its siblings have a lot of character (and reliability) but the question is what is it like to drive in it for one or two hours! The noise and poor stability at motor way speed is almost unbearable. I just hope that Toyota come out with a more refined new Aygo without the minuses next time (just in time for our next car change).

Astron Boy,
the real strength of the Jap cars has been their reliability and that is the missing puzzle as far as the VW Up/seatmii/ skoda citigo goes. Time will tell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts