Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - glad to have discovered this helpful forum. We have had our Aussie Up! for a week now and already it has been on one long trip to the city (1000km round trip to Perth and back). Performed like a dream, even though it is really a city car living in the country. We have the first one sold in our region at the bottom of Australia and it has already attracted some admiring comments.

I did have the petrol cap problem mentioned elsewhere on this forum so will try the techniques given. Have only had to fill it once and got the cap off eventually by good luck without noting the steps involved.

A question about accessories. With our fierce sun we really need a dash mat but none is available here yet. I am told maybe next year. Is there one available in the UK, and if so, can someone point me in the right direction. The windscreen has fantastic visibility, but is too big for a normal sunshade, and they can only be used when parked anyway. The dash really needs to be covered all the time or I can see it getting sun-damaged very quickly.

This site is now bookmarked. Thanks for all the interesting reading, and maybe an answer to my question. I am a very happy Up! owner.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Can't help with the dash mat. The petrol cap does take a bit of getting used to. Hold the cap steady with one hand and unlock with the key with the other. It gets easier the more you do it. Enjoy your Up! I think it is a great car

·
Registered
851 Posts
Can you not drape a thick beach towl across the windscreen held by the wipers and tucked into the gap that appears when the front doors are open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. Keeping the dash protected while stationary is no problem. It's the UV damage while driving that is a concern. It gets hot here (very), and we are only just heading into summer. Guess we will go to a motor trimmer and have one custom made. This is more of an issue in our climate than in Europe. Still love the car though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wish people would get over this "city car" thing! The UP! is capable of matching any car on the road driving at legal speeds. I had a 170bhp Skoda Superb before my UP! White. It ws brilliant but I can say the UP! is every bit as good and considerably more economical! It's just smaller. The bigger distances you drive down there aren't relevant. Enjoy the UP!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just quoting the VW marketing. If I was worried about it I wouldn't have bought it, living 500km away from the actual city, which I visit regularly

·
Registered
235 Posts
Some people do have an (old fashioned) idea that a small car can only be used for small journeys but, providing the car is well designed and well engineered, there is no reason why (mechanically) they can't be used in the same way as a much larger car. Comfort may be an issue, but this is where the up! really comes into it's own - with a 'big car feel' that few if any rivals can match, currently.
I suspect that there will be a number of high mileage up!s about when more people are exposed to the car's virtues. I've had mine since early October - it's done almost 6,000 miles already and is saving me a fortune.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I am about to buy an UP in Melbourne and planning to do my first trip to Sydney. Do you have any suggestions? :)

Also, do you think having any of the options are necessary? I mean
1. Maps + more: I can use my phone for navigation an music etc. and really who cares about the fuel consumption while driving. it just annoys me to keep checking the numbers on the display.
2. comfort: parking sensors, cruise control: well maybe cruise control but why do you need parking sensors for a small car.
3. style: this might affect the comfort. not sure about it though?

Cheers

·
Registered
604 Posts
Can't speak for the options 2 and 3 but I love my maps and more hassle free listening to my music via sd card, and the hands free for my phone works perfectly also on the way somewhere I'm not sure on the route if there is heavy traffic two presses on the maps and more then tell it the destination I can find alternative routes, very easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have to say I love the integration of my M&M. As you know, it's much more than a navigation tool. The music on the micro SD, the phone and the car computer add up to a very useful package. It's the only way, for example, that I can get an outside temperature. I love to be reminded that it's 40 outside and I am in air-con comfort

The mounting and demounting is very neat so that I can tuck it away when parked for a while and there's no temptation for opportunistic passersby.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi JudiJ. I know the distances in oz. are do not compare with ours in the UK. But having driven in both parts of the world I can safely say that the up! will compare favourably with the best. I don't doubt the heat will affect all kinds of other things besides the dash mat thingy you require. But as long as you don't batter it along those long distance hot dusty roads at ninety miles an hour it will cope as well and far more frugally that other makes.

I've got lots of my ex-service pals in the Perth area so I will tell them to keep an eye out for a little cracker of a car which will be yours. Good luck and let's hope that we can help on this forum when you need advice. I don't know if our map takes account of Australia or the Far east even, but I hope that if it does you will gradually see more and more appear on it. Good luck and as it is too late to wish you a Merry Christmas. Have a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Bingalau. No plans to do the dirt roads. Well, not too much. We will probably have to get a bush basher for those. Hope all in northern places had a great Christmas. We will be in Ireland & UK in March/April. Looking forward to playing the 'spot the Up!' game, although I just want to pack mine and bring it with us :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts