Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking at the damage to my golf sills today, I noticed that the left front lower grill plastic was also broken (unrelated incident) lol
I have seen some aftermarket grill replacements online, but they come with fog lights in them.

Would the car fail its MOT if I put the fog light version on the car, but had no way of switching them on? The original car has no fog lights, or switch gear on the dash to control them.

I don't really want fog lights, but I do like the look they give a car. (bit of a tart I know...)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would suspect the rules would say that fog lights, where fitted, should be working for an MOT pass. I don't imagine a qualified auto electrician would charge much for connecting them up - may be worth thinking about.

On some cars the wiring loom includes the fog light circuitry, even if fog lights are not fitted. I can't say this will be the case with a Golf though. From my experience with the Up, VW will probably have saved 50p by missing out the wires in the Golf.
Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did a bit more digging, and it seems that only rear fog lights are tested.
Looking at actually getting the front ones working looks to be quite complicated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts