Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery Monday and just love the Up. Apart from the electric window switches - not illuminated, no one shot lowering and passenger window can't be operated from driver's side, I have just one more gripe............... the steering wheel.

It is too thin and big, it reminds me of driving a 1974 Austin Allegro with the "Quartic" steering wheel.

Come on VW - give us a decent chunky sporty design that is also 25% smaller.

Apart from that - in a word - FANTASTIC CAR.

·
Registered
81 Posts
one of the things I really like is the steering wheel
we had an Allegro years and years ago and it certainly didn't make me think of that awful car haha

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The overall design is fine but it feel like it belongs back in the 70's. Sorry, but that is just my opinion. I like the flat bottom shape and the piano black inserts - but it is just too darn thin (even on the leather covered one in our High Up) - and 25% too big.

What do others think - surely can't just be me can it?

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sorry Truth Seeker but I like it too, if you think that is thin my friends almera is like a peace of string

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I quite like my steering wheel, but would be nice with volume control / on-off for music

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like it is just me then!
Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
397 Posts
Truth-seeker said:
- but it is just too thin (even on the leather covered one in our High Up) - and 25% too big.What do others think - surely can't just be me can it?
Took delivery of my up! this morning .. driven 72 miles today and am VERY impressed with everything. But since you ask, I love the steering wheel - just right; any thicker and I think my wife (and other drivers with slimmer, smaller hands) would find it too thick?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can understand some folk having gripes about faults or unexpected noises, but not about standard features and design issues they must have been aware if before purchasing an UP.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - I surrender. Guess I will just have to get used to it. Thing is, the steering wheel on our previous Aygo, and my current car have nice smaller Chunky s/wheels. Also, after browsing a few road tests of the Up, some testers have remarked on the "thin" steering wheel.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rickenbacker said:
I can understand some folk having gripes about faults or unexpected noises, but not about standard features and design issues they must have been aware if before purchasing an UP.
I did sit in one in the showroom, but looking back I did not notice anything wrong with the wheel, and probably did not even grip the wheel. Even if I would have noticed, I would still have purchased as it is a great car. It is not until you actually drive a car that you notice niggly little issues.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I like my steering wheel. It's much better than the one in my Yaris. My only wish would be steering wheel controls for the audio, display, and basic access to Maps & More. Also reach adjustment would be nice. I find that the steering wheel is too close for my arms and to get comfortable. I have adjusted now but it would make life much easier.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Truth-seeker said:
Looks like it is just me then!

Nope my wife thinks the steering wheel is too big and I do partly agree although it has never really bothered me. The Mii Wheel is a standard SEAT item from the Leon/Ibiza and does feel nicer overall and more in proportion. The rest is the car being built to a price and VAG saving pennies where it can.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I like the steering wheel 'as is' but the omission of audio controls is a bit of a pain. Also, trivial I know but why are the inserts black in colour? Surely they should be matched to the colour of the dashboard?

·
Registered
532 Posts
i particularly like thin steering wheels. The up is the most comfortable one I have ever used. The only thing I am not keen on is that the wheel obscures the speedo. I like the seat low and the wheel down there also.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like steering wheel - 5Don't like - 1

****, I still like chunky small steering wheels - must be the boy racer gene in me (I am 61).

·
Registered
583 Posts
I didn't notice anything particular about the steering wheel when I test drove the up! , so I think it's OK for me

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I am partial to a small chunky wheel, but I'm more than happy with one in the Up!, it seems to suit the feel of the car just fine :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also like my leather steering wheel very much. I've been driving a rental Ford Fiesta the last 2 days, and that steering wheel is horrible to me. Way too thick, ad not even the same thickness all around. Yuck

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My inserts match my dash colour... Black

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 20 Posts